Uneven Running

Guest stokerp

Guest stokerp

Hi Folks

Desperation setting in.

The car runs normally but under heavy load (overtaking on the motorway for instance) it bangs and splutters until I ease off the accelerator.

Common sense (or lack thereof) seems to suggest the advance on my distributor might be duff but before I go out splashing hard cash has anyone got any alternative answers/confirmation of my fears?

Thanks.

Hi

sounds like the problem i had if you have a carb. If its the same as mine there is a primary and secondary venturi the secondary only opens under heavy load, if the fuel is blocked to the secondary when it opens it dilutes everything giving you the problem you describe. I cleaned my carb and blew through all the jets with a compressor and generally cleaned everything i could. Runs perfect now even better after i put a new cap and rotor arm on the dizzy. Also check the float level if you have it apart. Certainly worth a try as it doesnt cost anything and at worst will leave you with a clean carb.

HTH

Certainly go for fueling checks as above.

A fault in the HT side of ignition is more likely to show under stress. Advanced or retarded ignition timing will just give gutless performance or pinking, not bangs and splutters. So if cleaning the carb does not fix it look to plugs, leads, cap, rotor arm and coil as the next stop.

Nigel