Zetec Engine Loom

Guest jasonj1970

Guest jasonj1970

Hello can anyone help a head scratching carpenter without a clue, im about to start with the engine loom for my zetec but not really sure what road to go down weather to get one from gbs or to make my own,im going for the emerald ecu, does anyone have any info at all that may help any drawingsor any help, also doing it myself are the plugs easy enough to get hold of thanks jase

Are you asking 'Can I make my own loom from scratch? Buy all the plugs needed? Buy wire? Test it all to make sure it is functional?'

The answer to this is theoretical possible. After all Emerald can make one. However I guarantee that I can't and I'm pretty good with wires and circuits. It is also the most expensive route to take!

If you are asking 'Can I buy the Emerald flying loom, some junior timer connectors, scavenge the other plugs needed off an old mondeo, sit down and make a working loom?' then yes you can. I did with an omex flying loom (because when I did it no one made a tailored loom for a zetec in a seven). Unfortunately I have had wires break twice at soldered joints in the loom due to vibration over 7 years and it's been a pain to sort out. Would I go down the same road again? NO, unless I was trying to fit some weird engine that no one else had fitted in a seven. Should you? Only if you are good with looms and electrics, meticulous with crimping joints, anal about testing, buy all the right tools, resist the temptation to solder any joints and really need and relish the challenge.

If you are asking 'Should I buy a zetec specific ready made loom?' then my advice would be a definite Yes. It will also probably end up being the cheapest route to take.

Nigel

I agree with Nigel

my omex came with a loom and all most all conectors the one i had to make was a pain

the rest was conect up 3 wires Earth Live Taco all fused and relays fited and it worked never had a problem with it in 4 years and 18 K miles.

Stephen

Guest mcramsay

The emerald flying loom is almost a piece of artwork, I went both routes, made my own loom and it worked fine, for a short while, ended up binning it, bought the emerald flying loom, and a good set of crimpers and it was a doddle and looked pretty good once it was finished and neatly taped up. One thing is I absolutley hate automotive pre insulated connections like bullet connectors and such. I used AMP super seal

Connectors... Pricey yes. And you need the correct crimpers. But with these you will get a water tight and vibration proof joint. The cable you are using is more likely to snap its self in half through fatigue than it is to come out of the crimp.

Guest jasonj1970

hi guys with the emerald loom are there any relays for fan etc, do you have to modify it in any way, does it also come with a diagram to tell me what goes were. Does anyone no what the difference is between gbs loom and emerald loom

My GBS loom needed modifying slightly as the TPS connector was for the throttle bodies and not the Ford own brand.

I also found that one wire had not been crimped correctly which caused a problem when the two looms were plugged together. Once found though, it was an easy enough fix - just frustrating to find it :)

Simon.

Guest mcramsay

The gbs engine loom is over £300, you can do your own loom in less than a day for around £120, the emerald diagrams are really good and easy to follow. If the gbs loom was closer to £200 then I would say pay the extra and use theirs but at £300 not a chance, plus wiring it your self is good practice and gives you a better understanding of both how car electrics work, and how to ecu works.