Ride Height And Spring Change

dandan62

I think my s7 has its original coilovers. I would like the raise the ride by about an inch if possible. Also I presume it has the overstiff springs in and it seems to be the opinion that around 130lb springs are best.

Question. The large nut won't budge! No sign of any locking grub screws. Any tricks anybody? To remove the spring I presume the top eye should unscrew? When I rotate it the whole thing rotates around the join between the large damper thread and base which goes up inside. Is this right? Probably basic questions for most of you. I may end up replacing with new ones but the bottom bolts are captured within the lower cross member so would need removal of rack and some metal cutting. Hoping to avoid that.

Thanks all. Pics attached hopefully!

You are having exactly the same problems I had. I can't remember if my old ones had any grub screws but you will probably need to carefully release the pressure on the nut by compressing the spring. The new ones do have grub screws. If you haven't got a suitable spanner for the nut you can buy an adjustable c ring spanner, assuming you have a notched nut or whatever it's called. Pity you are not closer of you could have borrowed mine. I had a hell of a job releasing the bottom of the coil over too a I couldn't get access to the bottom bolts. I ended up wedging a large screwdriver under it inside the crossmember so that I could unscrew the bolt and remove the whole assembly, the top ones were easy. I replaced the bolts anyway.

For God's sake don't try to take it apart in situ a and e is very busy this time of year.

I went for 120lb springs, it makes the front end much better especially coupled with the tie bar conversion. Dampertech is where I got my coilovers from, got the phone number if you want it.

Lots of good advice there thanks. I'll have to make a spring compressor as mine won't fit between the tiny gaps. If I can't move the nut I'll replace whole things I think. I have dampertech contact details already. Cheers.

• Like 1