Nosecone

Guest Sharky

Guest Sharky

Hi all,

Got to the point of fettling the nosecone on Sunday and the conclusion is that it seems there ain't much room to manouvre when the rad is fitted using the GBS angled rad mounts! :shok:

So I am thinking that now it's fettled I will hinge it at the bottom so it hinges forward for access. Two questions:

1. Anyone got any decent photos/ideas that have worked really well?

2. What are the pitfalls I should look out for?

I also think it would be a good idea to make the upper mount point height adjustable to take up any slack in the mating point with the bonnet. Anyone done this? Got ideas? I was thinking of a large bolt and two nuts either side of a nosecone bracket to make the height adjuster, but how should I fix the other end of the bolt to the chassis and still allow a degree of angular movement?

Any and all ideas will be considered for the master plan but no patent applications will be shared!! ^_^

Regards

Sharky

Guest JimMearns

Sharky

We did ours a week or two ago and decided hinging the nose was good. We used a pair of hinges fitted to the rear of the cross tube and onto the fibreglass. Note the bottom of the cone is not parallel to the cross tube - it angles up towards the front. This just leave enoungh room to get the fixings in between the fibreglass and the tube. The top end is held in place by a spring each side. post-3809-127762584866_thumb.jpg

Guest Angel Boy

I think the world has moved on a little from when I built my 2B in 2002, but I used the bonnet hinges off the Sierra, chopped them down a little with the end result being a nose cone which pivots forward similar to Jimmo's picture. If you would like a picture, let me know and I'll upload.

Best,

Andy

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So did you cut your hood(bonnet) down and fab a scuttle cover and make it 2 pcs? or did your kit come that way?

thanks

Dennis

Ontario,Canada

Hey,

for my 2b i fixed my nosecone and chopped the bonnet to have a fixed scuttle. I think the zero is a better fit but on the 2b i built a frame to pull the nosecone into shape to match the bonnet shape.

The fixed nosecone is held with 4 bolts so relatively easy to remove if i need to. Hinge it if you want but are you likely to want to open it often?

You can see what i am on about on my hollywood production here

hth