Smiths Gauges

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

So mine is classed as possative earth if the battery is connected to the chassis . I can only get the fuel and temp gauge to show a reading with 12 v supply but they are not very accurate if I fit a voltage stabalizer I get no readings even though it's giving out 10 volts I've had this issue now for ages don't know what to do ! Should I just change the gaues over to new ones with matching senders

no i think its classed as negative earth and the senders ideally need to match your gauges your fuel float arm may not be at the correct angle for your tank and the temp sender may be fubarred or some one may have used ptfe on it

i have a very limited knowledge of electrickery

Edited by tractor

Your car is negative earth. I dont think anything was positive earth passed the 60's.

What Smiths gauges do you have, are they new or from a classic car. New gauges should be good with 12volt supply but old classic gauges will need regulator.

The senders from the Sierra will not match the smiths gauges, your best bet is to source the correct senders.

Guest Jonnyround2003

They are new gauges classed as classic smiths gauges they came with the voltage regulator so I take it you only need it on the old posative earth cars . My fuel gauge is the worst when I take out the sender at the highest reading it only shows half full on the gauge I'm going to get a new guage and matching sender that should sort it the only problem is that I want to use my exsisting sender and just take off the part that sends the signal

You need to use the volt regulator with your gauges as they will be 10volt. The regualtor gives a constant 10volt which was required with the old dynamos whose output would vary with load and speed.

When you tried the volt regulator did you connect 12v to terminal B and the gauges to terminal I, the body of the regulator will need to be connected to earth for it to work. You'll still need to get correct senders to make them read right.