Front Wings

Guest James24785

Guest James24785

Ok so last part of my winter makeover is to fit my new sport style front wings. I've got a few tubes of sticky stuff, but how is best to actually fit?

Naturally, being a kitcar, they don't exactly just drop into place and sit nice first time. They need a bit of a push down in order to get them to sit nice, and not leave a massive "arch gap."

How have people held their wings in place whilst the adhesive sets?

Next thing is, I don't want any mechanical fixing if I can get away with it? I like a clean look, so I don't really want bolt heads on show. Am I likely to lose a wing at some point if I rely on the adhesive alone?

Thanks!

Depends on wing stays, you may have to tweak, and the molds the wings were made in. Later mold is best.

Trim wing where you need to to get it to easily sit where you want it, run needs of glue, and strap to wheel with masking tape.

Leave overnight and in tape. Add more bonding where necessary.

Guest James24785

Depends on wing stays, you may have to tweak, and the molds the wings were made in. Later mold is best.

Trim wing where you need to to get it to easily sit where you want it, run needs of glue, and strap to wheel with masking tape.

Leave overnight and in tape. Add more bonding where necessary.

Can the wing stays be bent easily enough? Passenger side certainly could do with a tweak, as its not square to wheel, which is probably half the cause tbh

I've seen somewhere that if you use some flat sheet folded round the tube of the wing stay like a P clip and screwed/bolted in place. Drill a few holes in the flat part of the P clip and "glue" to that, it will give a greater surface area for the "glue" to grip to.

HTH

Nick

I had to bend my stays to get the sports wings to fit level. Done not matter so much on the non flat top type. I just stikaflexed mine on using loads to ensure a good bond. I had to re-do them recently as ended up with wider tyres and were rubbing on stays. though I had them on strait but dried wonky!

I used pieces of perforated stainless steel with welded studs. These are bonded into place using Tigerseal. The studs are used to fasten plastic pipe clips in place to snap over my round section stays, if yours are flat perhaps they could be drilled to take the studs? The clip and stay are drilled to take a small safety bolt.

post-11418-0-74527900-1528916250_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is how I mounted the front wings to ensure removal ability. So far up to 70 mph they have held. Note rivet in center of EMT strap to ensure no side-wards movement. Will need to drill out to remove wing.

post-13626-0-32068500-1528988780_thumb.jpg

post-13626-0-36073800-1528988817_thumb.jpg

Bottom of wing is coated with truck bed liner to try and prevent 'starring' of GRP. I live 1 mile up a gravel road. Sport style wings used.

Marlin

Guest James24785

This is how I mounted the front wings to ensure removal ability. So far up to 70 mph they have held. Note rivet in center of EMT strap to ensure no side-wards movement. Will need to drill out to remove wing.

smDSCN3986.jpg

smDSCN4011.jpg

Bottom of wing is coated with truck bed liner to try and prevent 'starring' of GRP. I live 1 mile up a gravel road. Sport style wings used.

Marlin

I like that! Are they basically conduit saddles?

I wonder if anyone local would stock those threaded bases? (Don't know the real name of them) lol

Yes. 3/4" conduit saddles, known as EMT (electrical metal tubing) straps over here.

Here is a link to my supplier for the mounting studs; part # https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/3267/=1dadc63 , hopefully someone local has them. Used 1/4-20 x 1/2" and smaller ones also to mount the stone guards on to the front of the rear wings.

Marlin

Guest James24785

Yes. 3/4" conduit saddles, known as EMT (electrical metal tubing) straps over here.

Here is a link to my supplier for the mounting studs; part # https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/3267/=1dadc63 , hopefully someone local has them. Used 1/4-20 x 1/2" and smaller ones also to mount the stone guards on to the front of the rear wings.

Marlin

Ahh yes I forgot you were over the water. Many thanks mate

Guest James24785

I believe CBS do these "big head" fasteners

Yeah found them in the catalogue last night.

Take it these aren't the type of things a local hardware store would stock? Wanted to get them fitted tomorrow really