Wheel Wobble

Thrashed

Just thought I would do a post.

Got a zero and after the corner weighting and suspension set up i started to get a really nasty shake through the steering.

First thought was a loose part. Found that the steering shaft uj was failing, so replaced and if made no difference!

Checked every single but and bolt and definitely nothing loose!

Took the car to my local trusted tyre and the first question they asked after explaining the symptoms was have I got the spigot rings fitted?

A what? Never heard of them. A little education later and I am up to speed.

So off with a wheel and correct, no spigot ring. Rings ordered and should be ready for tomorrow.

Everydays a school day and fixed one of my winter to do list

Thanks Richard. 99.9% sure it's not the brakes as the car stops well and pulls up straight. Never get any judder through and did a basic test to check discs and wheels were not warped

If the spigot rings don't fix the issue, will revisit this thought.

It is a plastic ring that sits inside the wheel centre hole to ensure the wheel located on the hub centre correctly.

Basically with it missing the wheel will move around on the wheel studs and give the vibration symptoms I have, which is a shake that gets worse the faster you go or as the guy explained it will shake like a s##ting dog

Guest mcramsay

Many years ago my misses cousin said he would fit some alloys to her corsa for her. She said he was a mechanic and knew what he was doing,

Later that evening she called me saying she had pulled over just before getting on the motorway because her steering was hurrendous, I drove out and found only two very loose wheel nuts holding the front passenger wheel on, the other two were long gone, I just thought he hadn't tightened the bolts correctly. I took the wheel off, had a look and went to put it back on, and it was impossible, I then noticed the hub had a 40mm spigot for the alloy to fit into, the alloy when he fitted had a centre bore of 65mm. lucky she didn't make it to the motorway because the wheel was 4 threads from detracting its self completely from the hub.

Moral of the story make sure you fit spigot rings... and if your missed tells you some one is a mechanic ask her in what profession... turns out her cousin was a hobby mechanic for his mates banger racing car.

Guest mower man

Have run alloys on various vehicles with and without spigot rings and honestly had no problems but am very picky how I fit a wheel up to the hub and always tighten torque up wheel nuts in opposites not next to,s my experiences only !! mick :crazy: by the way if a wheel can move after fitting some thing is VERY WRONG :acute:

Edited by mower man

I had a wobble at the magic 70 - 80 mph speed. Tried everything, got spigot rings, still the same.

Just to eventually find out it was a very slight bulge in the front tyre. I only found this out by jacking up the wheel about 3 mm off the floor and spinning it.

Our cars can suffer this more than tin tops due to keeping them off the road for long periods and not keeping the tyres off the floor.

Still, if the tyre man has examined the wheels it may well be the spigot rings.

Have run alloys on various vehicles with and without spigot rings and honestly had no problems but am very picky how I fit a wheel up to the hub and always tighten torque up wheel nuts in opposites not next to,s my experiences only !! mick :crazy: by the way if a wheel can move after fitting some thing is VERY WRONG :acute:

The issue as they explained was that the TSW centre bore is something like 72mm and the Ford centre hub is something like 63.4mm. That means that the wheel has the ability to move around on the studs as the centre bores do not match and allow the alloy to move on the hub centre.

It seemed like a very good explanation and i have trusted them with all my cars for the last 10 years and have never let me down.

I had a wobble at the magic 70 - 80 mph speed. Tried everything, got spigot rings, still the same.

Just to eventually find out it was a very slight bulge in the front tyre. I only found this out by jacking up the wheel about 3 mm off the floor and spinning it.

Our cars can suffer this more than tin tops due to keeping them off the road for long periods and not keeping the tyres off the floor.

Still, if the tyre man has examined the wheels it may well be the spigot rings.

well at those seeds on a track at least you are all going one way

Guest mower man

The issue as they explained was that the TSW centre bore is something like 72mm and the Ford centre hub is something like 63.4mm. That means that the wheel has the ability to move around on the studs as the centre bores do not match and allow the alloy to move on the hub centre.

It seemed like a very good explanation and i have trusted them with all my cars for the last 10 years and have never let me down.

How can the wheel ,held by 4 studs and taper faceced nuts/ bolts correctly tight move ? :acute: mick

If the wheel is only a fraction out of concentricity wont the balance be affected -- so ensuring the wheel is central before the nuts are fully tightened is a very good thing. Also to my non-engineers way of thinking if there is a possibility of movement on the studs then sods law rules & if it can go wrong it will -- some-when.

• Like 1