Rover Head Bolts

AndyW

Can anyone give me a clue on torquing new cylinder head bolts in my Rover T-series engine.

The workshop manual says that the fitted head bolts might be either:

- MSPS which are 2 stage torqued to 80 Nm + 90 degrees, and can't be re-used, or

- KX which are 2 stage torqued to 70 Nm + 90 degrees

I ordered a replacement bolt set from the GasketShop but they didn't come with any instructions. The packaging doesn't have a manufacturer or type, just the part number KSB.450, and the bolt heads are marked 10.9.

So I don't know if they are MSPS or KX equivalents. How should I torque them up? And should they be oiled?

I did. They simply said follow the gasket makers instructions :unsure:

The Elring MLS head gasket says 3 stage torque to 80 Nm + 90 deg, so guess that means they are Rover MSPS equivalents. I just thought it odd that the gasket supplier should specify the torque rather than the bolt manufacturer.

are the heads different? Sierra ones are either a star socket (old type) or new T55 torx stretch bolts. Does it mention something like that in the rover manual? Or a shank length etc

the MSPS will be stretch bolts by the sound of it as you say they can't be re-used.

I reckon you would prob get away with torque-ing to the higher number on either bolt but better to know for sure as snapping a head bolt won't be fun to fix.

Theres only one type of head. The Rover manual just mentions that different bolts might be used in the factory build, but theyre both the same size - M11 x 165 flanged hex head, just different codes stamped on the head.

Agree that the MSPS are stretch bolts, but it seems the KX can be re-used. Im not sure whether its good practice to use them too many times though.

Anyway looks like my new replacement bolts should be torqued to 80 Nm in two stages then given another 90 deg, so thats what Ill do.

What is your engine number. The T series overall manual I have covers engines from 135751 onwards and it states the following: "Do not fit any bolt carrying letters MSPS on head of bolt." Also: "apply a light film of oil to bolt threads and underside of heads". Torque figures are "Stage 1 45Nm, Stage 2 70Nm, Stage 3 Further 90°" . If your engine is before this number I have no data. T

My engine is earlier - 132832.

Now I'm more confused! MSPS bolts were torqued to 80 Nm, but according to RedTrev's manual they shouldn't be used in the later engines.

The other type KX bolts were torqued to 70 Nm. But replacement bolts from Elring etc specify torquing to 80 Nm.

So do I torque to 70 or 80 ?