Rocker Box Cover Paint-job On Pinto Engine

Guest Mike G

Can anyone provide me with details on how I get my rocker-box cover spruced up? I had in mind either to get some fancy paint-job applied to it, or doing it myself with something out of a tin, or if the piggy bank allows to replace it with a new one - either painted, chromed or alloy?

Cheers

Mike G

Buying a chrome or stainless one will be expensive - have a look at Europa or demon tweeks who both sell them.

However, with a little time and effort you can do a perfectly reasonable job of painting up the old one. Almost any metal paint will do as it only get to oil temperature (about 90 to 100 deg C maximum). Mine is hamerited and although it looks crap where the paint runs are, it hasn't flaked off. As ever it's all in the preparation - shot blasting would give the best results. You could get that done for a couple of quid slipped to someone who works at a body shop or other paint finishing place. Failing that then wire brush drill attachments, sandpaper, and a lot of elbow grease are required. Either way get loads of de-greaser on it first. DON'T paint the inside - you may end up with flaking paint blocking the oil ways of the engine! Spray paint is probably the best DIY finish. How about Halfords "chrome in a can"? Has anyone used that?

Ant

The best paint that I've found for doing the engine etc, is household radiator enamel, the problem is, it usually only comes in black or white, (obviously I use Black!) -_-

As Ant says, it's down the the preparation, mainly degrease.

I hate Hammer*bleep*e :gdit: , it's crap paint, you have to put it on thick to get it to go on, then it runs like Lynford Christie :boohoo: and it also chips off as soon as you look at it. :angry:

Others have used engine laquer, but when I've used that type of stuff before, it hasn't lasted, after a year or so, it started to flake off horribly. :gdit:

Guest Charles B

P.S. I have an polished alloy one on my 2B, they are expensive, but they look good, and also do a good job of sound deadening the tappets. They also tend to leak less as they are so rigid.

You can get engine enamel from most motor factors type places. I know halfords do it in red/blue/silver/black/possibly yellow & green etc, for about £5 per tin.

Alternatively, a friend of mine stripped off all the old paint with a wire brush in his drill, then sprayed the bare metal with a clear high temperature lacquer. It gave a kind of brushed/machined effect, and looks pretty good imo.

Hi.

Did mine last year with Hammerite smooth spray on inlet manifold,rocker cover,timing belt cover sump and all the brackets.

And the block/head with brush on I would use the spray again but not the brush on as Jim says you need to make it to thick to cover and then it runs.

post-6-1071348679.jpg

I agree on the brush on hamerite - it looks crap. When my rocker comes off to do the valve seals it's going in the shot blaster at work, and then it'll get a spangley coat of spray paint I reckon.

Ant