Cycle Wing Fitment

Guest diyer

Guest diyer

Hi, what does everyone use to secure there cycle wings? I was thinking of using 6mm domed hex head cap screws. Then maybe filling the 'hex head' with araldite to make it non sharp edge for the SVA.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Simon

your hex dome head is a non sharp edge but i covered mine

anyway with the top of a plastic two part screw cap held on with

a bit of bluetack they are still there 8 months later.

change the steering wheel screws for them aswell and that

will pass.

Dave

Guest ScotMac

Since it isn't really structural, couldn't you use an automotive strength glue to glue them to the bracket (maybe combining w/ Jamie's stainless peice)? Has anyone tried it?

I happen to have a lot of very strong glue lying around (l/w build!!). ;)

Guest rhetorical-oracle

I've used domed number plate fasteners on mine, but then they would only really work on a yellow or white car! See there are advantages in having a yellow one!

Phill

post-5-1143531650.jpg

We have stainless P clips round the tubes with 6mm domed head bolts holding the fibreglass to the P clips. The P clips were made deliberatly small and have pinched up to a really solid fit. Nothing has shifted in 3,500 miles.

Guest ScotMac

The cycle wing is not structural, but i agree the wind can put quite a bit of force on it.

Yes, Piddy, i have a Dax as the background on my computer...nice looking cars. So, no one has tried gluing them on? Anyone know what glue Dax uses? I would assume (hope) my "Fusor" stuff would work, since it was made for gluing on body panels.

Guest Charles B

I used stainless 6mm coachbolts. They have a smooth top with no slot. You have to file the hole through the wing into a square. The top of the bolts will polish up nicely.

If you wanted to bond a fastener onto the wing, I reckon the best way would be to use bighead fasteners, and glass fibre them on.

This is what they look like

Guest yosamite sam

dax uses wurth adhesive - just done mine - just plaster it on - press down - hold in place with tank tape overnight - smooth off underneath before retiring, they have been on peoples cars for years no problems - if worried a covering of fibre matting will help. wurth is around £7.50 from dax - or if you can find it elsewhere

With a perforated plate and bolt like what Charles B has done and the wonderfull CBS polyurethane adhesive and it should stay on forever.

I would use a perforated plate across the whole width and am also thinking of flat bar under the wing

Guest yosamite sam

the hardest part is getting the damn things off if you have to if they have been stuck on or webbed over - i had to use a dremel and cutting disc to chop through - not a pleasant job!