Overheat?

Guest taylpa1

Guest taylpa1

Hi All

Was after some assistance from the experts!

My S7 seems to overheat and in fact boil over on occasion, anyone else have this and know how I can fix?

Have a fan in there that turns at engine speed including idle..

Cheers

If you have not got ducting in the nosecone now is a good time to fabricate some, you are trying to force as much air through the radiator as you can and not round it.

You could also make sure the hot air can get out of the engine bay by fitting vents, then the next step is a better radiator, the coolman works a treat.

Big electric fan on the front of the rad or the bulkhead to push air through the rad and keep the engine driven fan.

Oil coolers help.

Check your ignition timing, if this is out you will also overheat.

Anti freeze helps as does water wetter ( a sort of detergent that does not froth up).

Guest taylpa1

brilliant, thanks, thought air flow could have been the issue, have been considering having a new lid designed for the engine bay with new scoops etc out, round the carbs, the engine top and some outlets, cheers Paul

Guest taylpa1

sorry just to confirm, I want the air onto the Rad right? So if I duct the air from the front nose cone hole and avoid going round it this should help?thks

Guest ballin

you want as much cool air getting to the rad as possible, and as much hot air from behind it getting out of the engine compartment as possible.

are you overheating generally, or just when in traffic? If its generally running too hot then there is an air flow problem, or a problem with the cooling plumbing in general.

if its just in traffic then its most likely the fan not up to the job!

Guest chris brown

Has the fan got a duct around it so as all the air it is moving is coming through the rad and it is not just stirring the air up in the engine bay? No matter whether the fan is a puller or a pusher good ducting is the answer

Good point Chris the standard sierra engine powered fan had a big plastic cover so the cold air was sucked through the radiator. if your fan is just bare then it is sucking air from anyware, you may need to duct that one and its not easy. Keep your engine fan and get an elecric one in the ducting on the otherside of the bulkhead or you could get a better rad and mount it infront of the bulkhead as i have.

Alternative radiators

Guest turbo

after fitting a tighter grill on mine i had a water temprature increase of 15c to running at 100c

so this week i have fitted a scoop to draw air into the engine bay and cowled off the gap between the fan and radiator,this has worked for me.i also find an overide switch for the fan usefull for when you hit traffic.

Guest chris brown

A couple of us did discuss your grill at Stoneleigh Jamie, as I had one similar and did overheat at times but when I changed over to the Smurf one the temp dropped right down and I have not had any problem since (ok except when I wired the fan up the wrong way round :wub: )

Guest taylpa1

Overheating is just in traffic really, it tends to sit at 110-120 degrees c the whole time though..im thinking that ill try ducting and additional air inlets/outlets see how that goes then consider the better rad route if it makes little difference..

thanks for all your suggestions

I'm surprised that the grill could be having such an effect. This is my grill which is really quite a 'closed' mesh, yet I have never had any cooling problems.

Grill.jpg

I do not have a seal between the firewall and the passenger compartment. The huge gaps allow all the hot air to pass smoothly through from the engine bay. It's a bit fumey and not that nice in the Summer, but fine in the Winter!

Guest taylpa1

yeah i have a really open grill, and quite a few gaps in the firewall, and it seems fine from a running perspective when im going along, its the idle in traffic that makes it stutter and struggle for breath! and then the water overflows..

Guest AWhite

If its just in traffic your fan is not up to it. I'm guessing you've got the viscous fan attached the water pump pulley. I would ditch it and get an electric one in front of the radiator. The viscous one has been said to zap a bit of engine power anyway.

Andy