Shorten The Gear Lever

Guest a8dyc

Hi,

I want to shorten the gear lever on the S7.Ford gearbox.Can any one tell me want size die i will need to re thread it.The lever appears to get wider as the thread finishs,So i'm guessing i might not be able to use the same size thread.

Any ideas.

Andy

On my 2b i shortened my type9 gearstick by sawing a section out and rewelding the threaded bit back on. Seems to be holding so far. Just have to remember to weld it so the thread is in the correct position so it tightens up nicely on the knob. Hope that helps

Guest allenr03

Get an aftermarket knob. They usually come with adaotors to fit almost anything. Why do you want to shorten the stick just out of curiosity? It won't turn it into a short shift, you makes it a bit harder to use!

Get an aftermarket knob. They usually come with adaotors to fit almost anything. Why do you want to shorten the stick just out of curiosity? It won't turn it into a short shift, you makes it a bit harder to use!

Hi,i have an after market gear knob,but it runs abit close to the dash board.Keep hitting my hand.

Andy

Guest craig030774
Hi,i have an after market gear knob,but it runs abit close to the dash board.Keep hitting my hand.

Andy

on my type 9 i cut it down and cut with a m10 or m12 die cannot remember which one but looks a lot better shorter

In that case what you want to do when you shorten your gear lever is to fit a quick-shift kit. Mine only cost £11 from Rally Design, but some make their own. If you use a heavy gear knob you don't notice the slight increase in pressure needed to change gear, and the reduced throw will stop you banging your knuckles.

QuickshiftKit.jpg

I toasted my lever to red hot and put a bigger bend in it to bring the end of the lever out away from the dash. Then did this mod for shorter throw. Don't disassemble your lever like this. Twas an old lever that was going in the bin and I took it apart 'to see how it worked'.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

I just chopped the top off (and the rubbery bit out of the middle) and put on a knob that has a grub screw to hold it on. Why won't that make it a short shift - surely anything that reduces the ratio of above the pivot to below the pivot is shortening the shift, presumably anything that shortens the shift will need a larger force to shift it.

reduces the ratio of above the pivot to below the pivot is shortening the shift

Must be true. The quick shift kit just keeps the knob where it was. If I hadn't bent mine and altered the bits below the ball I would only be able to reach 2nd and 4th when strapped in tight!

Nigel

Guest chris brown
I just chopped the top off (and the rubbery bit out of the middle) and put on a knob that has a grub screw to hold it on. Why won't that make it a short shift - surely anything that reduces the ratio of above the pivot to below the pivot is shortening the shift, presumably anything that shortens the shift will need a larger force to shift it.

You are right in what you say in that shortening the leaver does shorten the movement but by doing the quick shift mod you also reduce the angle the leaver has to move. Also shortening the leaver to get the same effect does make the gears rather “notchy” so most shorten the leaver but not as much as you suggest as well as doing the quick shift mod.

Hi, I did the short shift mod, from the Dave Andrews website, it costs nothing, and then I also shortened the lever, and fitted a leather aftermarket knob that came with a sleeve and grub screw.

All that now makes the gate very close, feels good, if a bit heavy sometimes.

post-67-1191269176_thumb.jpg