2b/4 Front Suspension/springs

Guest LukieZ

advice needed on the front setup on my 2B/4 (not wishbone or sliding-pillar), i'm finding hard going on the road as it jars with every pothole of any size, they don't even compress much when i push down on the suspension! - i know the design is crap compared with the wishbones but can't afford to convert right now (unless someone can do it cheap).

now when i bought my kit back in 2005 in was i understand the very last ever 2B/4 kit sold just as they were starting to produce the lightweight, the springs supplied to me were green ones which are stiffer than the red ones, am i right?

only noticed once i watched the videos and looked at other 2B's at shows all had red ones, so... does anyone know if the red springs are indeed softer and help with the ride comfort (any improvement be nice!), also noted is that the supplied anti-roll bar compliance bush are heavy duty items according to the videos, would a standard one also help?

if anyone has a pair of red springs floating about... :rolleyes:

Hi,

Cant help you with the spring rate, However, When you buillt up the front end bottom arm and roll bar, was the car on stands when you tightened the bolts, the full weight of the car should be placed on the bottom arms when tightening, that would explain a hard ride as the bottom arms are beiing held in place by the tight rubber bush.

Just a thought, I was on my apprentiship with fords just when they came to the end of the sieera and the mechanics always had issues with the same symptom,

Dave

Again can't help with spring rates but my sub-k (same suspension system with Red springs) I changed to the heavy duty compliance bushes and would not say it made the front stiffer at all, old ones were worn out and has helped braking stability mind you.

I believe a lot of the stiffness comes from the anti-roll bar, mine is to stiff on the front end and understeers, but is not uncomfortable.

Cheers

Tony.R

dave, i can't say if the car was in the air or ground when tightened as a professional builder took over from me to complete it but i did leave the nuts loose for this purpose

you could be right about the bushes as the cold weather seems to have an effect and is more comfortable but still jolts every now and then, i did insert a spacer between the spring and bearing to close the big gap as seen in the vid (understand its a common mod) but don't think it'll affect it that much if any thing improve it so the shaft isn't sitting too low inside the damper

looking in a old catalogue the zeemeride spring rates are listed: black 130lbs, red 180lbs, blue 220lbs and green at a heavy 320lbs!! i know the rear coilovers use green springs and they seem ok-ish, soft enough but skips while cornering if the road is bad according to my dad who followed behind once

Hi, I asked arround about what spring rates were on my Hood and was told in 2004 all springs were green from RHSC and you got what was in stock. I know a guy who got his 2B 4 weeks before mine and the difference in parts supplied was unbelievable at the time!!!!!! But I understand now that it's all part of the fun

Nick

Guest mower man

Hi red springs are definatly 180lb ,if your system retains the orig donor a/rollbar bin it and make up/fit tie bars also reduce spring rates to 120 /130 lbs result is a vast improvment in ride, comfort and handling it works on my S7 mono and should work on your car too, others may not agree but it works for many others regards mower man :good: ;)

Martin, i'll PM you once i've checked the springs on the car are the approx. dimensions

i had considered tie-bars as it could be a cheaper (and less drastic!) option, is there any one who has produced a pair?

whats the ideal poundage for the rear springs (coil-overs)? standard green spring fitted at the moment.