Honda Blackbird Engine In A Hood?

andyparry

I have been putting some serious consideration into putting a bike engine in my hood, not only for the performance increase and weight decrease, but also for the challenge. As I see it the mods would be:-

Weld up an engine cradle to support the engine

Propshaft mounting mod and re-balance

Possibly mount a lightened sierra flywheel and starter for the reverse

Re-plumb fuel, water and electrics

Cut the blackbird exhaust manifold just above the 2 way split, turn through 90 degrees, re-weld and then make up a single exhaust pipe for each side with cans

New digital dashboard with propshaft speedo sensor

New gear linkage (or solenoids) for the sequential box

Probably minor bonnet mods to make it fit

Has anybody tried putting a bike engine in a 2B yet? Does all this sound feasible?

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

:) blackbird is a good choice for the hood as its quite torquey

what you will need other than the engine and its electrics are

a sprocket adapter(to attach prop)

a 2 piece prop shaft(as the bike engine will not be in perfect alighn with tunnel)

a gear stick and linkage(mine is cable,better routing and action)

a cradle made(for engine)

exhaust(this will all come out the n/s,you only need one silencer)

reverse on a 2b would be tricky using electric due to the weight being slightly heavier,hence more loading on the battery

if doing electric you wont need anything as large as a sierra flywheel,just a tooth disc about the same diamiter as the prop flange and another bike starter motor

you will also need a uprated clutch and plate springs

you will also require a sump chop and baffel plate fitted to slow down oil sloshing about

you wont need to mod the bonnet as the engine is shorter than a pinto

you may want to fit a sausage air filter or use the bike airbox and filter

if its a carb engine it will need rejetting(dyno-jet)to cope with the extra weight

if its injection then you may want to get a power commander to get the same effect as the dyno-jet kit

you will also want to play around with the accelerater pivot point so you have better throttle control,not on and off

if you have a sevo brake,remove it,it will be way too fierce braking

you will reqire the bike fuel pump,especialy if its carbed,as a injection pump puts out way too much fuel

:wacko: :wacko:

think thats about it,im sure ive missed something though :D

Cheers for the replies chaps. Thankfully no one came back with any scary comments or things that I hadn't thought of.

Power to weight wise, assuming my hood weighs about 850Kg with 120Hp at the flywheel, the p.t.w is ~140bhp/tonne. I believe a pinto and gearbox weigh about 250Kg and a blackbird engine plus mods will be about 100Kg. I think a black bird puts out about 160bhp as well. This should give a p.t.w of ~228bhp which is about 60% increase. Surely that has got to be worth doing into a 'heavy' hood chassis, hasn't it? Are my numbers about right?

Andy

When you take an engine from a light vehicle to a heavy one you need to think about torque rather than BHP.

A 2.0 pinto give out 157nm max torque. A blackbird gives out 127nm max torque. The blackbird gives the same torque as a 1.6 pinto.

A blackbird engine works well in something like Rizla's MNR because that weighs half as much as a 2B (well a heavy 2B anyway).

think about torque rather than BHP

That's what gearboxes are for, slowing the revy bike engine speed down to something useable at the wheels will give you loads of torque to lay onto the road.

If a 1.6 pinto gives 127nm of torque at 4000 RPM, and the bike engine gives 127nm of torque at 8000 RPM, use a gearbox to slow the bike engine shaft from 8000 to 4000 and your torque will double (less gearbox losses) giving about 250nm.

Acceleration is purely horsepower onto the road verses mass.

Guest docter fox

definately sounds like a challenge, but also like a lot of fun :)

as for the weight, theres a few stripped out saxo's running bike engines and being pretty fast so a 2b can't weigh much more can it? ;)

Oh, and think of the revs :D

as for the weight, theres a few stripped out saxo's running bike engines and being pretty fast so a 2b can't weigh much more can it? ;)

was thinking exactly the same, plenty of bike engine powered tin tops out there now

Guest docter fox

A saxo with an r1 engine (same 160hp, but less torgue) weighs 675kg and gets to 60 in 5.1 seconds, so my guess is that with a bit more torque and a little bit more weight you would be around there :)