Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Manual

Guest Mark Stanley

Guest Mark Stanley

Ok that helps a bit more, i am on the hunt for a rear end unit with disk brakes LSD and bolt on drive shafts, if I can get this fitted first then it's time for the engine! Does the cosworth rear unit fit the same as my standard seirra unit?

Guest ianjenn

It is not 5th gear that is the problem. It is 1st and 2nd. The jag diff is a very low ratio.

First Gear Ratio (:1) 3.25,

Second Gear Ratio (:1) 2.44,

Third Gear Ratio (:1) 1.55,

Fourth Gear Ratio (:1) 1.0,

Fifth Gear Ratio (:1) 0.75

diff 3.07:1

With a 26inch wheel/tyre diameter.

Here is my build thread

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=31973

Guest wargob

no i think you have missed the point using the sierra diff (3.92) with jag engine and gearbox gives the best results without massive redesign of the rear end just a simple prop shaft modification.

gear top speeds are:

1st - 36

2nd - 48

3rd - 76

4th - 119

5th - 158

Guest ianjenn

I don't agree and is the reason I didn't do it, that is a poor top speed in first and second. How often will you rev to 6800. 0-60 time will be poor with 3 gear changes. Try your calcs at 4000, maybe a 3.6 diff

The jag engine has loads of torque so I suppose you might miss out on 1st gear altogether. My first gear is 2.8 which is still quite long.

If it was that easy there would be loads of jag V6 kit cars out there.

Edited by ianjenn

Guest Mark Stanley

I'm about to buy a complete cosworth rear sub frame with LSD drive shafts and disk brakes for my rear end up grade, wheel and tyre sizes will be the last parts to change on the car. Is there a different jag box that could be fitted or if I run 17" wheels will this sort the problem?

Guest wargob

Well i guess that we think a little different on this matter as my zero is track only, (i think they don't work too well as a road car) any way i hit 9000 rpm on every gear change, that's how i calculated it i suppose on the road you don't need to rev that high all the time. but with a 3.07 jag diff 4th will take you to 155 mph and 5th to 207 mph. also there are regularly 3.36 sierra lsd diffs on ebay.

Guest Mark Stanley

If I used cosworth diff which will see me 35,42,72,112, 150 give or take at 6500 rpm and 80 mph in 5th at 3500 rpm this is not to bad for a bit of an all round kit car, once I'm in 2nd I should have a good pull. I don't plan to do 0-60 on the road but it's nice to have fast pull off from a rolling start which will have 1st gear cleared.

Why look at the calcs at 4000 rpm? Is that not like saying you are going to change at 4000rpm each time? Once your moving wouldn't you be looking at using 4000- 6800 rpm as the power band then shut off and into 5th at 3500 rpm at 80mph for a bit less noise on long roads.

Guest Mark Stanley

Still waiting for a cosworth rear sub frame with LSD drive shafts disk brakes 4 stud wheel mount which should be ready for me in about 2 weeks time. Does anyone know if all the sub frames have the same mounting centres to bolt it to a Robin Hood 2b or did different sierra, cosworth have different sub frames? Also will the sierra pinto drive shaft bolt to the cosworth LSD ?

Hoping for an easy rear end up grade?

hi Mark, I don't know a great deal about this topic, but I believe that Cobra kits use jags and fords as donor cars,

might be worth asking a few questions on there forums, they would probably be able to tell you what will fit what, might be a help,

of course keep us all informed on here, :)

no drifting over to the dark side :ph34r:

hth Ivan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mark Stanley

Just a quick update, I have bought a rear end from a sierra cosworth xr4x4 with LSD, I have stripped it down shot blasted and painted it, fitted new wheel bearings and it bolted straight onto the 2b,

Only mods needed was to cut 5 mm off each side of the damper to make it bolt to the trailing arm, damper

Make new coper brake lines to fit rear disk brakes

Mount and make a bracket off the bottom diff bolt to hold the hand brake cable which was longer.

had to take most of the car apart to remove the old running gear but it all went In ok and is up and running, what an improvement this has made to a car, so much more fun to drive. Worth every penny!!! Not a bad job done over the long weekend,

I now also have a complete x reg jaguar s type 3.0 v6 82k with full history manual car. Time to start removing the engine !!!!!!!

Guest Mark Stanley

Would I be wasting my time trying to keep the jag loom, ecu and dash board dials so that I can run the engine as a standard set up. ????

It depends on your skill and patience levels, also on what flexibility you may want on engine programming.

I did exactly as you said above on my Roadrunner Sr2 using MX5 ECU, looms, instruments, sensors etc. just a lot of chopping and lengthening of wires and removing unwanted circuit wiring. Takes time but with its own rewards. Just make sure if it has a factory immobiliser you may need all ancilirary bits such as coded keys, key aerial etc as well.

This has worked perfect for 2 years, now about to invest in a programable ECU to facilitate a supercharger being installed.

Let us know how you get on