Collecting My Rh2B This Week...but..

Guest cpbrad

The main points for IVA are:

• There are different ways of mounting the harnesses/seat belts, they all require some modification to strengthen the chassis attachment points, exactly what depends on how and where they are mounted.
  • The seat mounts will need load spreading plates, the minimum size of which are designated in the IVA manual.
  • The steering column needs extra braces as the standard design has too much flex.
  • The pedal box needs bracing so that there is no movement in the pedal box under braking.

There are other things that really need doing too, although not IVA requirements, these include:

• Converting from the sierra anti roll bar to tie bars
  • Changing front inboard springs from 180lb to 120lb
  • reinforcing the engine bay floor.
  • and probably more i cant think of off the top of my head.

Thanks for your advice guys, its greatly received.

So i have been on the phone to the DVLA and a place that do the IVA and they have confirmed it will definitely need one (thought id check incase it had actually been done and he wasn't aware).

The reason why I am still thinking of buying this is because it has had a fortune spent on it at Northampton Motorsport. Receipts for over £8k worth of work, £4.8k of which was on the engine. This is why I'm thinking it could be worth the gamble of me putting it through the IVA.

My friend (old work colleague) seems to think its worth £8k if it had the IVA, now im thinking he could be a little out of touch with the robin hoods from what i have read, I cant honestly imagine it being worth that kind of money now, yesterday I thought he could be right.

What to do.. :help:

No photos unfortunately, from memory and looking at the guide Id say it was an S7 mk1, 2 or 3. I have asked the guy but he isn't sure. Something else ill look for on Friday I guess.

He has lowered the price to £2750.

Im going to go along with my dad as he is a lot more mechanically minded than myself and in the meantime read through these IVA notes.

Again I really appreciate everyones advice. It looks like more of you think I should leave it but i think its worth paying a visit with my dad and having a detailed look at all the paperwork before giving him my final answer as its not far from where I live.

For a guy who thinks it was worth 8k just 48 hours ago, that is one hell of a price difference. Just saying....

Tbh I'd walk away and get something you're happy with from the first look and happy with from the comments.

Budget of 3-5k will get you something road legal you can use straight away. Even at 2k, you still have to figure out what needs doing for IVA, do it, fail it, rectify it, then register it. by which point you could have sunk another 4k into it. I know he's a mate and all but honestly, he'd not be a mate if he made you double your budget

• Like 1

For a guy who thinks it was worth 8k just 48 hours ago, that is one hell of a price difference. Just saying....

What he meant was, you'd need about £6k of work to get it through IVA :crazy:

To the OP, as others have said, I wouldn't even go and look at something that hadn't passed IVA - it may look amazing and shiny but if you want to do more than stare at it sitting in your garage, find a registered car. A knackered old nail with a number plate is worth much more than an engineering marvel without one.

And you mentioned keeping it for track days if it failed? Track days aren't cheap - you're looking at a minimum of £100 to be able to drive your car (not including the cost of trailering it to the track) for one day? You can hire a shiny, new Caterham for £400 for a full weekend (fri-mon)...

BTW: get us some pics - we're all fascinated to see what this dead-cert-to-pass-IVA-first-time looks like ;)

Edited by nelmo

And you mentioned keeping it for track days if it failed? Track days aren't cheap - you're looking at a minimum of £100 to be able to drive your car (not including the cost of trailering it to the track) for one day? You can hire a shiny, new Caterham for £400 for a full weekend (fri-mon)...

I took my Audi A5 on a track day as the kit wasn't ready before my voucher ran out....cost me £1200 after I needed new pads, discs and tyres (inc insurance, fuel and cost of the day too) :help: :rofl:

• Like 1

So today I am going to see it.

Thanks Dave R, i have had another member also offer me their opinion, extremely kind of you guys. Ill see it with the old man and if he thinks it has potential then I may take you guys up on that offer :)

Ill update you all later this evening.

How did you get on?

Went to view on Friday afternoon after reading through the link i posted about the IVA and getting through. I could see a few minor things that needed doing in the engine bay such as the terminals needed covering and some more clips and conduit that would be required in and around the cabling in the engine bay. I thought about it long and hard over the weekend...

I have decided to take all of you guys advice and leave it.

When I initially saw the vehicle I was under the impression it was fully road legal and I could have just hopped in and had a blast, and thats what I want, I dont want to be fiddling and spending extra cash (probs alot of extra cash and time) and then probs not even have it on the road for this summer!

So I was going to view an Honda S2000 yesterday at 2PM, the guy calls me at 1PM saying some blokes from Birmingham have turned up early and have the asking price in their hand, so I said to let them have it as I was only going to put a deposit down and return to check the bodywork next weekend in the dry weather. Ashame as that had a huge spec and a hardtop.

So im back to the first option which this kitcar pulled me away from in the first place... Trimuph Speed triple :) Cannot wait to pick her up!

Thank you to everyone that has given me advice and helped out with questions, you have all been a huge help. I may come along to a meet in the spring/summer on the speed triple.

The kit car may go through easily (it APPEARS to be an absolute cracker and has had a fortune spent on it as previously said). Ill ask the guy if he is happy for me to pass on his contact details - If anyone is interested then please DM me.

He has said to me £2750 - but added there maybe a tiny amount of movement on that, make of that what you will.

Pics - I have a few if anyone interested wants me to send them to them, not great ones though..

Yeah, good thing about this bike is I am purchasing from my father who has had it for almost 10 years (955i engine), its mint and a beauty. Loads of extras including high rise Triumph race can and remap with carbon goodies too. Ill be picking her up as soon as we get some sunshine. Already dug out the leathers and buffed them up :)

I think the guy with the RH i was looking at is signing up to this forum and will be advertising shortly - Please be kind lol.