Fuel Sender Calibration

Guest turbo

Guest turbo

hi there i have fitted the 2l fuel inj dohc sender to my rhood stainless steel tank it hase also got the fuel pump fitted to the sender.

would anyone know how to calibrate it with my new revotech fuel guage i bought at stoneleigh show.

thanks jamie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown

Jamie

I suspect it will be a case of trial and error Lets face it the Sierra sender isn’t that accurate when used with its own gauge so I guess you would be no worse off just to put it in providing it works in the same polarity

Guest Battery Bill
useful replies please.

Well your new fandangled guage would actually be useful if you had bothered yourself to ask how it works in the first place :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PS Are you related to GJM? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Guest Battery Bill
bit of a smart arse arent you

Obviously you are not so smart if you buy things and dont know what to do with them :rolleyes:

useful replies please.

Bit of a gob s**te yourself :gdit: :gdit:

Guest turbo

obviosly smarter than you i saw your car at the show :blink: and then watched you rip the ars* out it at the chip shop on the way home.

plo**er

Guest Battery Bill

Turbo

The Bottom of our car is still there :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and if you ever finish your car you might experience this type of scrapes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: especially if you leave your oil filter standard :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh and we were not on the way home we stayed over that night as well :rolleyes:

But I fail to see why this scraping incident would make you any smarter than me anyway.

But no doubt you might explain this to me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Turbo, theres no point spitting the dummy. You are going to have to ask Revotec what resistance range their gauge is calibrated for. Then check the range on the ford sender and adjust with the appropriate resistor. Or buy the revotec sender!

On a similar vein I hoped the VDO Gauge might work with the ford sender(to save the trouble of fitting the VDO sender which came with the set I bought at Exeter last year). It does but goes from Empty to half full, backwards, sort of air gauge style. I discussed this with the very helpful tech director Brian on the stand at Stoneleigh and he suggested by fitting a 230 ohm resistor in parallel with the gauge it would work OK. Aparently inverts the change and by choosing the resistance size you should get close to the correct range. Please note I glaze over at the mention of ohms so I may have hold of the wrong end of the stick.

So electrical Techies please have a look at this one.

VDO Gauge wants 10 - 180 range

Sender gives 250 - 30 range. (His guess at the ford sender range)

Can you fit parallel resistor to reverse and reduce range so gauge reads OK.

Nigel

Guest TerryBarry

For resistors in parallel the formula is

1/R(Total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + etc

For two in parallel this simplifies? to

R(Total) = [R1 x R2] / [R1 + R2]

Putting the 230 ohm resistor in parallel with the Ford sender I calculate range will change from 250 to 30ohms to 119 to 26ohms.

I cannot see how it inverts the reading.

However if the helpful guy is speaking from real experience with their gauges it might be worth a try

So, if I find out the actual range of my sender in the tank I should be able to calibrate the lower reading to give a genuine empty, with the full reading which is less important roughly right.

Maybe I got the bit about reversing the range wrong. Could be done by bending the float arm through 180 degrees. Might need to extend it.

A variable resistance might be handy to put in circuit so it would just be twiddle the knob to calibrate the zero and a variable length float arm to reduce the scale and I'm done.

Maybe I will just fit the VDO sender! :wacko: :blink: :rolleyes:

Nigel

I had the same problem with my VDO fuel guage and ended up fitting the VDO sender. The main problem with this was how to get the fuel out of the tank as the pickup was built into the sierra sender. My solution was to copy the sierra design, I modifed the VDO sender by fitting a pickup pipe through it. This works OK with no leaks and the fuel guage is now accurate.

post-8-1115243100.jpg