Heater Or Not?

Guest wigman_99

Guest wigman_99

Ok, so I've taken the jump, the RH is SORN and I have until June (using it for a wedding :D ) to fix all the gremlins I've found and make it well and truly mine. The wiring is a total mess and there's little bodges all over the place.

So what's the consensus, any need for a heater?

If no, how should I remove the water feed from the engine into the matrix? Should I block off the pipes at the ends, or perhaps fit a U shape joining the two together? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers all.

Ed

Attached are phots of the wiring atrocities I discovered! :o

post-2951-1218568833_thumb.jpg

post-2951-1218569000_thumb.jpg

Guest fozzy2007

i just removed my heater altogether as i get enough heat of the engine and i dont think it worked anyway. Just got one long pipe to replace the 2 that circulated the hot water through the heater will try to find some pics for you.

regards

fozzy

Sorry could not find any pics that would help but it was a fairly simple job and saved a bit of wiring two and there was about 4 or 5 lots of wires going to it. It was also easier to replace the whole pipe than trying to join 2. plus the resulting hole in the bulkhead made a nice hole for the custom made (thanks bro) wiring lume to pass through. just have to close some of the hole up now. Heater also weighs a ton but it might not bother you. I was after weight saving. i will go out when its light enough next and get some pics for you.

Edited by fozzy2007

Guest chris brown
So what's the consensus, any need for a heater?

I maintain there is no need for a heater even in winter and yes I do use my car all year round. This leaves a nice big hole that can be used as a convenient cubby hole.

Should I block off the pipes at the ends

I did just that and have had no problems but some will tell you that you could induce "hot spots" by just blocking the pipes off and need to fit a link pipe. I maintain the Pinto aint that sophisticated and carries loads of water in big lump of cast iron. Now if it was ally then I might agree.

Attached are phots of the wiring atrocities

Now that is nasty I wish you the best of luck with that.

I like my heater. Nice to have warm feet at 11pm on the way home in the summer with the roof down. Nice to have demisting in the winter with the hood up in the pouring rain. You can put on thicker socks and keep a chamois handy as alternative solutions and junk the heater. If yours is a pinto pull the heater hoses out and you find they go from the inlet manifold and back to the water pump. Just join together for the simplest solution.

Nigel

Guest jhfozzy

Yeah I did a fair bit of leccy work to Rob (fozzy2007)'s car.

We decided to remove the heater as:

1) It weighed a ton.

2) The resistor had burnt out anyway.

3) It was extra un-needed wiring.

4) It gets toasty warm under the dash.

It was never used whilst Rob was driving it so we took the chance and it was removed.

As for the wiring,

This is what we discovered under the dash.

09092007531.jpg

Which was promptly cut down to.

09092007533.jpg

And then to.

13102007703.jpg

With all the un-needed parts of the loom gone, we could cut the fusebox down to.

13102007704.jpg

Which fitted nicely here.

27122007961.jpg

And the engine loom was cut down to.

30092007608.jpg

Hope this helps, :D

John.

Guest salty_monk

I liked having a heater, I currently don't have one (not that I'm driving it right now anyway, wrong country). I would however settle for a heated seat as an alternative.....

Dan :)

Guest wigman_99

Thanks guys, some good advice there, I think it has to go, I haven't used it in six months and I don't plan to drive in the rain anyway.

So what should I do with the space? Any ideas? :fool:

Guest fozzy2007
Thanks guys, some good advice there, I think it has to go, I haven't used it in six months and I don't plan to drive in the rain anyway.

So what should I do with the space? Any ideas? :fool:

FIT A ROCKET LAUNCHER!