Winter Project - Call For Help From American Hoodies!

Guest Dan_Beeston

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi Guys,

I've been mulling over a Pinto Turbo project for the winter, based on the turbo setup from an American 2.3 SOHC engine, Transit low-comp pistons, stock injection and Megasquirt.

The turbo gear seems to be easily and cheaply available enough from eBay US to make it worth getting hold of some to check viability, but many sellers will not ship to the UK (then you have all the customs issues.........)

Are there any US based Hoodies that would be willing to act as a reciever for an eBay purchase, then ship the kit to me as a gift (for a similar gift return of beer tokens, of course! ;) ) ???

Any comments on the project as a whole also welcomed of course...........

Cheers,

Dan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

Yes, I can do that. Your biggest problems are going to be the shipping costs & also the fact that the 2.3 & the 2.0 are pretty different engines from memory. I haven't looked into it in a while though.... :)

Good luck.

Dan :)

Guest Dan_Beeston

Cheers Dan, I'll bear you in mind :)

I'm hoping the port spacings are the same, I can only assume the heads are based on the same castings???

Either way it should only cost ~$30 for the bits so I figure it's worth it just to find out!!!!

Wish me luck! :good:

Maybe consider a turbo zetec instead.....

We saw a Zetec engined mini at the Pod last weekend.

space framed, rear mounted engine, some Yankee gearbox.

Standard crank :o , forged rods, T4 turbo, cast pistons, modified ST 170 head

(junked the VVT) & experimental Piper cams.

500 bhp at the wheels, reliable as a rock.!!!!

Just not sure what it cost tho'

But we have also seen several times this year a turbo'd Pinto in a small rear engined dragster. Sounds wonderful, but I dont know anything about it or the owner. May be worth hunting down on the internet, start with WWW.EURODRAGSTER.COM.

Cheers, Bob

Guest Dan_Beeston

Joel, I'll look into it, why have one when you can have 2 at twice the price :)

I'm not going mad on power to begin with, maybe ~150bhp before I have to start spending on uprated internals.......

I've seen the £350 manifolds on fleaBay, very shiny but about £300 to rich for me! :-p

Guest Dan_Beeston

Tis true, but then I have to fit a Zetec or XE!, everything is already nicely engineered for the pinto, plus it sounds like more fun than just dropping in another engine ;)

150bhp is just the starting point, I can tinker from there until it explodes :D

Guest Dan_Beeston
I believe the 2.3 castings are different (taller?) & they used a different gearbox. You might find fitting one is as much work as a zetec....

I thought this might be a problem, hence building a 2litre turbo using a 205 block/injection head and transit/P100 pistons and a type 9 box.

Can anyone confirm whether the port spacing/stud pattern of the exhaust manifold is the same on the 2 litre & 2.3 litre heads??? :huh:

Guest salty_monk

These guys might help.... http://www.moddedmustangs.com

Can you weld? If so it might not be that hard to make up your own inlet manifold for any turbo & splice it into an exhaust.......

Also have you thought about the supercharger route? The ones off the new Mini aren't so pricey either......

Guest salty_monk

http://www.procharger.com/

This is the same type that VW uses on it's G40 & G60 models as far as I can tell.

The mini ones are roots type, they are cheap though.

You really want one of these....

Image004.jpg

This one is in a friends dad's plane.... Scooby flat four with mercedes supercharger!

Guest Dan_Beeston

Cheers for the info guys, looks like I've got plenty of bedtime reading!

I thought about a supercharger but I'm not sure about packaging, basically the only spare space I have without moving everything around is in about the right place for a turbo :D

I can weld (as in snot too pieces of chunky metal together if I really have to), not sure I'm quite at manifold fabrication level yet, only one way to learn though I guess! :p

Then again, that place looks superb!, I wonder..................................