Fitting A Cat - Repackable Silencer Suppliers?

FERRINO

After the latest emissions proposal - I'm looking at how to fit a CAT on my system should it be passed.

Trouble is - I've got a big silencer which is using all the available space to fit one! It's the large £300 one that kitspares sell as it's very quiet and ironically I bought to ensure an IVA pass for the DB level!:-

http://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=856&search=silencer

t67pLeJ.jpg

WP7E8f4.jpg

It's looking like you need approx 270-300mm for a half decent size CAT.

I really don't want to have to get rid of the big silencer - but it seems I may need to if the worst happens.

With that in mind - can anybody recommend a decent (cheap) contact that could knock up something that would get through IVA db easily but would be a bit shorter than what I have (6" dia x 29" Long)?

I do actually have 2 'over chassis' manifolds that I have offered up to try - but both would hit the chassis rails on a 2B annoyingly. Also they both terminate in approx the same position as I have now.

hAZCzKt.jpg

jcus0gr.jpg

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers

Tony

Well if you needed more room down the side you could make a manifold similar to mine http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=38045&page=3as it only has a single pipe exiting the side leaving space to add in a cat. Not sure whether you've had to put an extra bearing in for the steering shaft or not but one advantage to building your own is i made mine so it cleared the steering shaft without having to add in an extra joint, just the standard rh shaft.

Or you might be able to move the collector on the one you have.

i have no idea whether it would affect performance, although you will prob lose ~10bhp by sticking a cat on so probably not so much of an issue in the long run.

Alternatively get on and get it IVA'd!!! how much do you have left to do?

Yeah, aren't you creating a problem for yourself before the fact? Worry about it when it's passed, if it ever is. But, answering your question... that's one hell of a long manifold, if it were shorter before it met the collector you'd have plenty of room... I believe you can also get silencer/cat combos where the cat is in the start of the silencer, although I'm not sure that's ultimately a wise decision to put them so close to one another like that... also, you want the cat close enough to the engine to get hot.

I'd push on to get it through IVA for now, worry about an exhaust redesign when you know you need to!

Edited by brumster

GBS offer that silencer with or without a cat, so I'd reckon you can repack that once you get a cat put inside it. I suggest if the rules come in, you purchase the one with the cat included and sell me that one for 50p ;)

However, as said, wait until it becomes law and the proposal is passed, then worry. Push on and get it through IVA before and you won't need to worry and I miss out on a 50p exhaust :rofl:

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies chaps! I know I'm jumping the gun somewhat looking at this issue now - but being a pessimist/realist (delete as applicable) I'm fairly sure this will probably happen despite our reasonable requests for a grace period - hence spending an evening or 3 this week weighing up the possible options.

The version of the silencer with the CAT already inside is £425! (which is probably more than my entire car is worth!) :D I agree it would be a perfect solution though - just unbolt and replace with the CAT version - job sorted!

I am continuing to crack on with the remaining build jobs and haven't stopped to fixate on this issue - but there are lots more still to resolve.

I think because a bit of time was spent the other year doing the outer body work areas to try and make it look a bit more presentable - people see it and think it's nearly finished which is far from the case unfortunately:-

uImPTcz.jpg

It just looks further along than it is (just trying my daily driver no.plate for clearance by the way):-

jeIt8Md.jpg

Ab6aHo2.jpg

vOoSfiV.jpg

Cheers again for your help/advice

Tony :)

• Like 1

Thanks - Yeah planning to powder coat the bonnet gloss black to match. Still need to do a final coat and lacquer on (your exmo) nosecone and also the rear arches.

Biggest headache (prior to this emissions worry) is sorting out the front steering geometry. Once I got round to looking at sorting the front suspension a month or 2 ago - I realized that I'd packed the rack up really high to get the steering column to 'just-miss' the exhaust manifold.

With the springs removed and sliding the hub up the pillar, it toes out wildly to start with - then returns to normal - then toes in a bit! All due to the fact that the steering arms droop downwards at rest rather than upwards (because I'd packed the rack up)!

So now need to drop the rack right down to where it should be to sort suspension - and then work out an extra UJ mid span of the column (with bearing block of course) to route the shaft around the manifold down to the repositioned rack!

All good fun with these kits eh - fix one area, cause a problem in another lol! :wacko:

well if you have to change the manifold to be able to fit a cat into the system you could alter the manifold so you don't have to add an extra joint into the steering. Less joints in the steering the better if you can.

Just spotted a potential fail point though looking at your pics. Although my seat belt upper mounts are the same as you have i think they have been failure points for some people in recent times (i passed SVA in 2007). I Think they want the bolt to pass through the bar in a welded in tube rather than the tubed welded on the rear.

I could well be wrong so hopefully others can confirm or reject my thinking.

• Like 1

well if you have to change the manifold to be able to fit a cat into the system you could alter the manifold so you don't have to add an extra joint into the steering. Less joints in the steering the better if you can.

Just spotted a potential fail point though looking at your pics. Although my seat belt upper mounts are the same as you have i think they have been failure points for some people in recent times (i passed SVA in 2007). I Think they want the bolt to pass through the bar in a welded in tube rather than the tubed welded on the rear.

I could well be wrong so hopefully others can confirm or reject my thinking.

Oh crikey - really?! Hopefully somebody can confirm/rule out that seat belt anchorage issue as it would be a right ballache to sort at the moment! Thanks for the heads-up!

I think I've gotta put the extra link in the steering column anyway tbh. I'm sure I don't have even 5 degree offset on it at the moment let alone the 10 or so that I hear the testers are ideally looking for? It stems from the fact that I have a Sierra rack rather than the upside down-back to front-inside out original Metro jobby. Even with the rack packed up high - the steering column only just misses the exhaust manifold and also one of the chassis members by 5mm (if that) which I think would be too tight for the tester anyway.

Cheers

Tony

Well, I'll bow to someone more 2B-knowledgeable but it didn't seem to be an issue with the Zero, and the bolts aren't going through the cross-tube there...

30iKahyUfvkLapcX1MkXU1LZhIF2FcUht1AVsIPf

I suspect if the IVA inspector has any fears that the tubes through which your bolts pass would "pull off" the main cross tube in a collisions/stress scenario, then he may fail it, but if the tubes are welded on properly I can't see it being an issue?

I'll do a bit of a trawl of Rhocar and see if i can dig up where i saw it mentioned. Don't want to give you bad info or a panic but if it is a problem at least it's easier to sort now than for a retest.

@Brumster that's good to know if the zero is the same and passed. From the various posts over the years it does often seem that one test station is more or less strict on certain aspects. I had to show i had put anti-crush tubes into the tubes that hold the rear shock at the top where other people werent even questioned. Different tester different day seems to be a common thing.

so MegaDodo mentions an iva pass but with the 2007 chassis which has the mounts through the tube not welded to it in this thread http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=32718&hl=%2Bseat+%2Bbelt+%2Bmount&do=findComment&comment=245817which may be where i had seen that but i think that was standard not a retro fit

And this mentions a single top mount welded on http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=33071&hl=%2Bseat+%2Bbelt+%2Bmount&do=findComment&comment=248384which may be where i was putting 2+2 and getting 4.5

again this mentions being asked for a pull test by iva tester but i think re-reading it it may be a single mount again http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=27323&hl=%2Bseat+%2Bbelt+%2Bmount&do=findComment&comment=208528sadly cant see the pics anymore.

I know the later chassis had the bolts through the bar, but thinking about it now perhaps that was because the bar was a round bar so couldn't have had the tubes welded to the back.

So i think i was probably panicking you for nothing. Sorry :sorry:

Unless anyone else has further info hopefully it is just bad info on my part.

....just one more thought is that if the belt goes through the seat but is deflected in any way the seat becomes part of the structure and gets treated differently. I think you are probably ok as the holes look pretty big but just check when you sit in that the harnesses go over your shoulders and aren't against the seat.

Edited by agent_zed