Perspex Protective Film

Guest old_timbo

Guest old_timbo

I’ve been making some wind deflectors today using some Perspex sheet I’ve had kicking around for 15+ years. All was going well until I tried to remove the protective film for the final fitting. The film has gone brittle and is firmly stuck-on. Only comes off in little chips. :( I’ve tried meths, panel wipe, cellulose thinners, white spirit, and hot water, but no luck. Any suggestions? Perspex is fine where I have managed to get the film off.

Tim

I had the same problem when after heating the polycarbonate sheet to bend it , the protective film still wanted to do its job and stuck fast , i think that i used warm soapy water and a soft nylon adhesive applicator spreader thingy and taking great care too , got there in the end though thankfully .

Best of luck , slowly does it .

Mike

Guest old_timbo

Thought I'd ask the misses to have a go with the baby oil. Told her that's what Hoodies said I ought to use, but no luck :rolleyes: .

Tried a hot air gun too. That didn't work either, probably because I bottled out too soon. According to the spec. Perspex is OK up to 80 deg C, so perhaps very hot water in a baking tray in the oven will work. Looks like I can set it down to 70 deg C min. Wonder how accurate the thermostat is.

Guest paulwillie1000@yahoo.co.uk

i used an aerosol can of label remover, i ' borrowed' mine from work, but you can buy it on ebay.

spray, leave for a few minutes and peel it off, jobs a good un!

First thing i did after reading this post was to go to the spares pile at work and dig out the elephant ears and test the plastic protection, as it has been kept in fairly stable temperatures it seems OK which is more than i can say for the stainless protection on my Series 3a, its been on since 1997 ( when the original owner bought the kit) and it realy wants to stay there.

I think you are goimg yhe wrong way try putting them in the deep freeze

Dave

Sainsbury's or Tescoes deep freeze?

The only way the plastic will come off is either in tiny bits like flakes of dandruff or by rubbing a few inches at a time to bubble the plastic with my thumbnail, i can manage 1/2 an hour after my working on the car sessions before the pain makes me stop :mellow:

Cillit Bang works best to remove the adhesive residue and on some areas Tcut has gently removed the burned on plastic where its been welded through in constuction at the factory.

As the body was stored upside down in the original owners garage then moved several times until it resides outside my house, i expect to have some scratched areas to deal with especialy the scuttle.

At some time a bit of paint may have to be applied but post SVA.

Guest Toejam

Anyone tried Amonia ?

Not much fun to play with, but I've heard it's very good on adhesives. (Used to remove window tints - slap it on, sandwich with a bin liner so the vapour doesn't all escape & let it do it's thing)

Guest old_timbo

Finally managed to get it off :) The baking tray technique worked. Oven thermostat was miles off (over read so it didn't get hot enough) but I used a brewing thermometer to check the water in the tray was at around 70 deg C. This made the film go soft after 15mins ish, so that it could be scraped-off with an old tupperware cake slice!! (sharp edge but didn't scratch) Glue comes off with Meths.

Tim