Bonnet / Cone

Guest andycase007

Guest andycase007

On my Robin Hood, I've just noticed that where the stainless steel bonnet meets the blue nose cone, the stainless steel bonnet overlaps the cone slightly. Where this happens the previous owner or the one before him has put black duct tape along the nose cone.

I assume to prevent scratches from the stainless bonnet on the fibreglass.

It's perfectly straight and only shows about 20mm width along the whole of the cone.

What does anyone else do?

Was looking online at rubber or chrome trim but didn't know whether the stainless steel bonnet should be overlapping the cone or should it be perfectly flat, i.e meeting edge to edge?

The original kit came with mini chrome plastic trim.

This covered the front and rear of the bonnet.

The trim was widely available to cover the external seams on the original mini, I have not looked to see if I can find it recently.

Yes it should overlap up to the seam line on the nose.

Edited by IanS

I've just tidied up the stainless steel bonnet on my Superspec. The bonnet lies on a 1" rebate at the rear of the grp nosecone, and at the other end just lays on top of the stainless steel scuttle. On both ends of the bonnet I've used 8mm chrome plastic U edging to cover the raw steel edge, which has a mastic fill to give some adhesion to the bonnet edge. On the hidden edges of the scuttle and nosecone which the bonnet sits on I've used 15mm soft U shape rubber channel edging which gives a reasonably tight fit on the edge and some cushioning to the bonnet.

Take your pick from the various types of edging available from CBS and Woolies.

On my 2b the bonnet should have been the aligator style bonnet with the nose cone attached to the rest of the bonnet and hinged at the rear. I started doing this and drilled holes to attach the bonnet to the nose cone and changed my mind and chopped it for a removable bonnet and fixed scuttle and nosecone.

Problem is it now had loads of holes. So i bought some 1inch rubber U and it's been perfect. Covers the holes and sits on the nosecone lip like it should and stops the rubbing. My nosecone has 5mm neoprene tape on the lip also.

hth

I've used hockey stick wing piping (CBS no. TRMPI2) glued with Tigerseal into the rebate on the nose cone to take the front edge of the bonnet and ribbed neoprene sponge (CBS no. TRMRIB2) to take the back edge but it depends on what your catches will allow