Does The 55Mm Quadrant Fit The Sierra Pedal Box?

agent_zed

Just fitted a longer clutch cable and clutch will no longer disengage as there just isn't enough pull with current yellow (half circle) quadrant.

I could probably modify the quadrant to get more pull but i just want it to work like it should so looking to change to one of the bigger diameter quadrants.

The granada does a 50mm version but i think i need more than that to account for slack and loosening in the future. So i am looking at a 55mm version but this only seems to be a quarter of a circle so i am not sure if this fits the sierra pedal box and works with the longer cosworth cable

anyone know?

thanks

Bear in mind that the entry into the outer sheath of the cable will be at a skew if a larger radius quadrant is fitted --- leading ( maybe ) to a chaffing of the inner or less than smooth operation. IMO

Edited by florin metal works

Yes it wil and you can pack the silt a little to provide even more pull.

You can also lengthen the outer cover by packing with washers or steel tube with a washer of the right diameter hole at the pedal box end and some washers at the gearbox end

Yes, I've fitted 55 and 58mm ones to the Sierra pedal box. Both were Febi.

I believe numbers are:

55mm Febi number 01388 ford 6189055

58mm Febi number 11439 ford 1029013

Have you got the correct cosworth cable? It should be the 2wd version. Mine works ok.

Edited by cb750

Hey,

thanks all. Yep it is the 2wd cosworth version. I did have a normal one on there but that was too short with the new 4-1 manifold and i was worried it was either going to get too hot or the twist that it needed was going to put undue stress on the cable. I have had a cable break before although that was with the normal manifold setup so i think that was just one of those things.

The short cable worked ok with just enough pull although reverse was always a bit grindy especially when things heated up as i can only assume the cable stretched a fraction.

With the new cable there is so much more stretch as it's a much longer cable. I tried packing it out a bit but all that does is move the point at which the toothed part bites which helped a tiny bit but not enough.

I did consider making a cresent shape to fit in the groove to hold the cable up and get more pull. But not sure if it's just easier to get a bigger one. The 55mm one just looked a lot different as it is only a quarter and i wasn't sure if the toothed section would be in the correct position.

Florin - whilst i can see your point about the angles there is so much slack/movement where the plastic end fits into the metal part of the seirra pedal box i don't think it will be much of an issue as it will move to where it needs to.

hmm maybe i'll try filling the groove first and seeing how reliable that is.

Had to move the car today as rebuilding the garage roof this week coming. So had to do something about the clutch cable and seeing as i haven't bought another quadrant as yet i figured i'd try modding the one i have.

So looking at the one i currently have i figured i just need something that will fit down the gap that will follow the curve and not damage the cable. So i experimented with some old bits of cable.

I tried some twin 1.5mm electrical cable first. I had to trim the edge to get it thin enough to fit down the gap but was easy enough with a stanley knife.

This worked ok in that it held in place and provided more pull but still not enough for my liking. At this point the cable end is in the correct cable holder part.

So take 2 ... this time i used 3 core and earth which is about 1cm wide. Again had to trim the edges to fit. Instead of the cable end going in the correct location i've now left it on the upper part above. The cable runs nicely onto the electrical cable and is supported all around the curve and there is still a groove to hold the cable in place. Put a cable tie over the nipple and around the quadrant so it can't slip up and off.

Haven't tested in anger yet but so far on the drive it feels good. My only concern is if the cable collapse over time but it is pretty strong and has the 4 pieces of copper cable still inside to give it strength. It's pretty tight in there so can't splay sideways.

Guess will just have to see how reliable it is.

Im about to fit the 55mm quadrant to try and shorten the clutch travel to stop my knees acting as a mid shift steering lock.i think my main issue will be fashioning a clutch stop to prevent over straining the cable. Fingers crossed!

Edited by bigC

• 1 month later...

just a quick update... getting car ready for mot tommorrow so had to look at making the clutch better. Took out the squishy rubber part and had a look in the garage to find something to replace it. To my surprise i stumbled across the perfect replacement which ironically was orginally on my car. It is one of the top hat suspension bushes that i had replaced a couple of years ago as was worn.

It needed a tiny bit of trimming on the wide part to fit into the plastic cover from the cable but once that was done i gave it a test.

instantly i could feel the padal had a more positive feel and on testing i could get into all gears including reverse, which it wasn't doing before. The bite point is also much better and isn't at the very end of the pedal travel.

so long story short swap out the squishy rubber for a something solid and you'll get more pull and a more positive feel. I've still got the 45mm quadrant but as i mentioned above i put something down the groove so probably more like 55mm.

hope that's useful