Log Splitter Hydraulics?

Andi

totally ot

I have a 4 ton log splitter which has had the motor re wound after it stopped working about a year ago. It now works but it's down on splitting power. There is enough oil in it but I am wondering if it has been filled with the wrong oil. Would this make a difference? There doesn't appear to be any air or water in the oil and no leaks. The axe head is sharp too.

I am struggling to think what else the problem could be.

Any ideas?

Afternoon Andi, are you running your splitter on an extension lead ? Voltage will drop with length & therefore power too, what size is any extension ?? Try running it plugged straight in to a house/garage socket -- preferably one that has been used for a heavy load ( welder/heater ) without problems.

Are the brushes new and have they worn in yet? My dads table saw was down on power and could see sparks from the worn brushes. replaced them and it was still a bit down on power unil the new brushes wore in (5-10mins of use) and then it was back to full power.

Edited by agent_zed

Did you bleed the air out of the system or are you just saying you thing there's no air I it?

Hmmm. You know me too well Richy.

There is an air screw you have to open 4 turns when you use it and then close it for storage. Thats about the depth of my hydraulics knowledge.

Can you post a detailed description of item Andi? The sellers blurb would be great.

Hi Bob,

This is a slightly newer version but looks similar

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-log-buster-5-4-tonne-log-splitter/?da=1&TC=GS-030711005&gclid=CjwKCAiA8vPUBRAyEiwA8F1oDA19_43xxzdiPn1ryCdUX4U3w9XXQLkyOXwnVYOwqOLUxdgsA7jZMxoCTKEQAvD_BwE

That looks like an induction motor so no brushes to cause a problem. Could you plug a mains light ( table lamp/lead light) in at the same position as the splitter? Use an adaptor for a brief test -- does the lamp dim a lot when splitter operated? Indicates the voltage is dropping if so -- need to check all connctions in the supply line & in your splitter electrics.