Steering Rack Mounting

Guest Gavlar

Guest Gavlar

Hello All

So I am quickly getting to speed what I think needs doing to my Robin Hood 2b.

One of the issues I have run into was the steering. I was told when I purchased it that it needed setting up, this I understood as its got the wishbone setup and adjustable springs. However, I am thinking this is now wrong.

To summaries the steering rack looks raised at one side versus the other.

Looking at it further it seem that the steering rack has been raised by it being put on top of blobs of weld.

Further more, I am not sure if this is right or not so looking for guidance, is that the rack is sat a little further back behind the front wishbone mounts. I am thinking that they should be parallel?

Does anyone have any pictures of how theirs is setup. If I need to I shall get the rack off and put a new one in.

Any help would be appreciated.

I can't seem to load photos on the forum? I am happy to put links to my google drive if needed.

Best regards

Gavin

You are right in thinking the rack should be centralised and mounted with its axis parallel in all planes with a line drawn through the centre of each front 'axle'. One assumption is that the wishbones are exactly equal effective length which is not always true with Robin Hoods. The effective length of the steering rack, inner balljoint to inner balljoint, will be slightly wrong and this has to be lived with unless you want to make up a custom rack. Height of the rack relative to the theoretical front axle is a tuneable variable and can be used to reduce bump steer.

Set it up initially all lined up parallel. If this involves grinding off weld blobs or ovalising mounting holes then so be it. Once the car is on its wheels, loaded and ride height set then you can look at real world bump steer and adjust rack height to minimise it.