Rewire

jaimo

Going to rewire car and sort of got it covered apart from stalks there the pre 84 ones the 83g ones i believe

I want to keep the indicator/main beam stalk and put the light and wipers from orther stalks on switches

The prob i got is how as i understand it the main beam takes a feed or earth from light stalk so basically how do i do this

Any help greatfully recived

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

83BG stalks are square section arms. 87BG and onward are round section.

83BG are wired for switching positive supply for side/main/dip. 87BG are wired positive switch for side but negative switching of relays for main/dip.

It's a good idea to put in relays for main/dip and switch them whichever way your stalks/switches prefer. (Allows use of low current/any switch and some lightweight wiring for much of the install.)

You need to select your light switch, 'Off - Side Only - Side/Main/Dip' (Side needs to stay on when you switch to the main/dip position) or separate switches if you prefer.

You need to plan component/fuse layout so that you will have some light available if something busts.

On the Sierra the right side column switch is simply 'Off - Side - Side/Main/Dip'. The main/Dip position sends the lectric to the left hand stalk which simply sends it on to either the main or dipped filiaments in the headlight bulbs.

Flash function has its own supply in the left column switch (terminal 15) so is not affected by your changes. You connect the output from your Main/Dip On switch to terminal 56 of the left stalk.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Thanks nigel think i get it now basicaly the dip beam goes through 2 switchs

So if dip didnt go through main beam switch it would be on when main beam selected instead of going off then back on when main off

Yes through two switches. Ignoring the side lights the first switch is for power on/off towards the head lights but this first switch doesn't choose which beam it goes to, main or dip. It just sends the power to the second switch which is more like a set of railway points. It doesn't have an 'off' option. Just a choice between sending the train to Paddington or Waterloo, or rather main or dip. It will always be positioned in one of those choices. i.e. whichever beam it was left on when you last used the lights. So whenever you switch the first switch on headlights will always come on immediately but it might be either dip or main beams depending on which position the second switch was left in.

Nigel

I was going to put in a circuit diagram but I don't know what switches you are planning, fuses or relays. Have a think.

Edited by Longboarder

I am using the 83 mainbeam indicator stalk and a 2 way rocker switch for side/ dip

Using sierra relays

And using after market fuseboxes

Basicaly just been given a brand new sierra based premier wiring loom and just using new switches and warning lights and fitting cbs gauges/clocks like the shark gauges

Only switchs keeing is the main/ indicator stalk

May keep hazard switch if not that will be fun as well

The way I look at relays is that they are one more thing that can fail.

I have the older switch gear that ford designed to work without relays so I do not have relays and 35 years later they still work with the occasional spray of switch cleaner.

So how do i convert the lights to work with relays and a light switch just keeping the main beam stalk if thats the way i go

Or can i use a new light switch and take power to main beam stalk if so how do i do that

Basicaly how do i do both ways so i can decide what way to go

Edited by jaimo

The way I look at relays is that they are one more thing that can fail.

I have the older switch gear that ford designed to work without relays so I do not have relays and 35 years later they still work with the occasional spray of switch cleaner.

A failed relay is no big deal -- 2 a penny from the breakers -- but a replacement Sierra column switch??

I just carry a spare relay (all my relays are the same). Never had one fail but if it did then a quick swap is all it takes, quicker than changing a sierra switch and smaller to put in the tool kit! If the main ignition relay fails then a small bit of hard wiring would get the car going again

Keeping it simple the relay comes after the switch. For your system I would use two relays after the column switch.

Pic is a simple diagram of how you add a relay. No fuses shown. Numbers on the relay are correct but pins not in correct positions.

Nigel

post-21-0-52629800-1508773736_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longboarder