Clutch Cable Or Gearbox?

Guest smegheadsteve

Guest smegheadsteve

Hi all,newbie here!

Having a bit of trouble with my 2B.

When it warms up it can be really awkward getting it into first and second gear,but it's ok when it's cold!

I am wondering about the clutch cable,as it runs in between the exhaust manifold and the outer plastic has melted away.Or could it be the gearbox?

The donor car we bought was a non running F reg 2.0 sierra,so the gearbox wasn't checked.We did fit a new clutch though.

Any pointers on where to start looking would be much appreciated.

Are there any clutch cable routing mods I should know about?

Cheers.

Steve.

Steve

start by taking the clutch cable off and see if its seizing up, the inner should fall freely in the outer when held up - if its stiff and needs pulling to move its time to replace it.

go for the 2wd cosworth cable, much longer and can be routed away from the exhaust - part no. is qhc1585

Steve

the cables sounds knackered, it needs wrapping in either exhaust wrap, or protecting using copper wire to transfer the heat away from one piont

Mitch

Guest smegheadsteve
Steve

start by taking the clutch cable off and see if its seizing up, the inner should fall freely in the outer when held up - if its stiff and needs pulling to move its time to replace it.

go for the 2wd cosworth cable, much longer and can be routed away from the exhaust - part no. is qhc1585

Steve

Cheers Steve,have you got the cossie cable on your's?is it a straight swap?

Guest turbo

i had the exact same problem as you describe

through a search this is covered, and from that i glued a piece of thick as will fit wire loom cable into the clutch ratchet below the cable.

what this does is pulles the cable slightly more for the same amount af pedal movement(probably will be enough to compensate the expansion of the cable due to heat.

i lived with this problem for 1 year and just sorted it before my trip to stoneleigh and it has improved 80%

ps you can also buy larger clutch powls to do the same job.

Guest salty_monk

Defo the cable. Swap it out for a cossie one & route away from manifold is the easiest fix.

The part number will be on here somewhere. Use the search function & search for clutch + cable.

Another fix for standard cable can be found on http://www.joeybrown.co.uk I have a rudimentary version of that (I split a copper pipe & used it as a heat spreader. It's clamped at the bottom with a cable tie underneath so it doesn't slip.

If you haven't already you might consider modifying (put a plate on the top) or exchanging your clutch quadrant for a larger one to increase radius (1986 Fiesta quadrant 55mm).

Dan :)

Guest peter2b2002

i used a piece of corn flake box under the cable, pedal end to sort out my crunching gear change 1st and reverse last year, time for a new bit of cardboard as its crunching again(or do a proper job)

pete2b

Guest smegheadsteve

Cheers lads,I've just started a shift in work(four 12 hour days)so I'll have a look at it next week,the wife keeps me out of the garage of an evening when I've been in work!(I should put my foot down,but I'm too scared)

Steve.

Cheers lads,I've just started a shift in work(four 12 hour days)so I'll have a look at it next week,the wife keeps me out of the garage of an evening when I've been in work!(I should put my foot down,but I'm too scared)

Steve.

Ah, now we know why you're having problems getting 1st and second, you're too scared to put your foot down! :D

Guest chris brown

As others have said go for the longer cable then modify the quadrant a strip of ally or steel (cardboard must ware out quickly Pete :D ) I make no apologies for posting the photo for what must be about the 20th time but this is what Salty is talking about.

Guest smegheadsteve

Ah,now I get it.Have to confess to being a bit confused :huh: but the picture clears it up.

Cheers for that.

Probably try the cardboard first to check it fixes the problem,then go for a more permanent fix.

Guest salty_monk

You'll need a new cable with some heat protection or a cossie cable as well though.... The quad mod won't fix it on it's own. With both done it will be like a new car!!

Dan :)