Starter Motor Recommendations

nelmo

I think my starter motor is the cause of my engine rattle (see other, long-winded thread in this sub-forum) as the main body is definitely loose and on the version I have (from GBS), there are no obvious bolts I can tighten it with.

This one from RetroFord looks better:

http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/content/zetec-rwd-starter-motor-z020

But this one off eBay is £30 cheaper and looks the same:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131186336380

Any opinions on which is better? Or another source?

Really nothing to see - I've just realised it's a Lucas one like this:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_2.0_2005/p/car-parts/electrical/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/starter-motor/?402590671&1&d626f53767ef6ae9ebdfe84c3207b732b0321210&000308

It's got 3 (or was it 4 - I did take it off completely) huge screw heads round the side which are rock solid and 4 smaller bolt heads on the top end which are also unmoveable. Basically, that main body is slightly loose and does make a slight clink noise when I move it by hand (but the thing still works).

Would suggest trying to remove the long body screws & fitting a washer or 2 under the head, could be that if/when the unit was refurbished they were not present & the bolts have run out of thread before pulling the body tight to the mounting plate.

Might save you £100 for the expense of 1/2 hour's work.

Not if they have run out of thread, can you measure the gap under the long bolt head? Just suggesting removing bolt & packing with a few washers to see if that cures the looseness of the body. Fresh out of ideas, would need to see the animal for any more. ( Rebuilt Florin's starter 6 years ago & still running O.K ) (( Famous last words ))

Guest mdav1970

buy the ebay one, i did and its been great for over a year now. tried getting one from eurocarparts and after about 4 attempts to supply the right one i gave up on them.

You have found the body tightening screws/bolts? The heads can be at the gear end but they can be covered by a cap at the wires end. The nuts holding the cap on the wire end are just electrical terminals. Remove them and the cap and you may expose the body clamping screws/bolts.

If you do go new then Lucas LR707 is a good choice if you have a standard flywheel or aftermarket one that puts the flywheel teeth in the standard zetec position. Buy the wrong one and the starter pinion may not mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel!

I don't know if the bellhousings of type 9 and MT75 have the same bolt patterns which may also be a fitting issue.

Edited by Longboarder