Zetec On R1 Carbs Running On 3 Cylinders

Thanks for the responses.

Tractor will PM you now with an email address as that would be great to get the map.

It does rev although tries to stall when throttle slightly opened, once engine is warm it seems to be better albeit a bit lumpy.

I think stripping and cleaning the carbs is a good shout so i'll do that this weekend and see how it is following that.

Just a thought i have an R1 bike fuel pump connected diretly to the carbs - assume this does not need a pressure regulator.

Cheers

Simonn

the fuel pump should be ok it does need to go next to fuel tank the problems sound more of a carb problem the basic map that you get with the megajolt is pretty good the finished map from a session at torque tune only has some very minor changes also wot are you running map or tps

Edited by tractor

Guest davidimurray

If you clean them, don't just spray carb cleaner through them. Spray carb cleaner into a glass (don't use plastic or you will end up with a sticky mess) to give you enought to cover all the jets then leave the jets in there soaking.

Bike Fuel pump to carbs is fine. Have you got any fuel filters inline? I run two, bike one by the pump and a small one just before the carb. If using one inthe enigne bay make sure it is a metal one. I had a plastic one start to implode and then blocked the flow causing a misfire after a few seconds under full load.

Will go for the full clean option rather than just spraying the bits, have one plastic filter between pump and carbs but both are in the engine bay. Will get a metal one ordered just in case. Why does the pump need to be near the tank? DFitting in the engine bay is 100% easier as geting to the tank would be a right bugger. Currently have it mounted to the back of the passenger footwell firewall..

Thanks

Simon

Guest davidimurray

The bike fuel pumps don't have a great lift/suction capability and hence the closer to the tank they are the better.

If you want to make a simple test fro flow, pull the hose off the carbs and divert the fuel into a bucket. Measure the time/quantity collected to get a flowrate.

As a feel my ZX6R/ZX9R pump gives about 1 litre per minute. That is after the pump and two filters. When I had a blocked/imploding filter, I was only getting 0.35litres per minute and even then the fuel starvation was only evident when on the road and full throttle for mor than 5-10 seconds.

Guest davidimurray

That is giving you about 2 l/min so should be plenty. As an idea when I asked around before, 1l/min should be good for around 160-180bhp.

Did you have ago at the jet cleaning?