Nuts Or What

DoctorDee

I have long since ceased to be surprised by some of the "engineering" I find on "Gladys".

Decided to fit a removable boss for the steering wheel as my navel gets ever closer to it....

Removed the wheell and the upper part of what is a split boss.

I expected to see a nut on the top of the shaft itself, (all Sierra's have a nut holding the wheel boss in place don't they) ...WRONG...., there is a girt bolt screwed into the top of this particular component.

So....if it's not sierra..... whot iis it.......

Any help will be gratefully received as usual

Piccies attached

post-13927-0-20641900-1521138685_thumb.jpg

post-13927-0-52472900-1521138697_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your responses Gentlemen.....

this means that our friends at Haynes are talking through their proverbials...obviously a typo..

Take it that it's three legged puller on and power up the rattle gun

If the central nut -- the big blue one-- is slackened off by 2/3 complete threads the wheel should come loose with a couple of good open palm smacks on the underside of the rim. Leave the bolt slack & in place other-wise you'll be eating plastic.

Thanks Bob for your ,(always), sound advice....

Unfortunately we appear to have another well engineered fitment on what is the long list of well engineered fitments that I have run into "The Gladster".

I swore blind I would never put in print on the forum what a crap build she is......but she is...short cut after short cut after shortcut

So much so I am considering changing her name to "Gonzo"...

In short, I have a very bruised hand,..... This prompted the post in the first place.

However, half the fun is fixing these things and I still love her dearly....

Onward and upward and thanks once again

I believe the mk 1 Sierra (82-86) had the nut on the end of the column, the later ones used a bolt. The Sierra Haynes manual doesn't mention the bolt version only the nut one. My column is the nut version.

You should never do anything with a head cold....... what an idiot I am....I shall retreat to a corner of the room until I can think of something to say that is not quite so stupid.....I think I'll go back to building trikes :crazy: