Fuel Issues

Guest Jonnyround2003

Guest Jonnyround2003

My pump is struggling in the fuel tank it's fitted to one end of the tank when I boot it around corners it struggles to suck up fuel my fuel tank only holds about £15 so not a lot when running a 2ltr any suggestions guys what's the best set up

Edited by Jonnyround2003

Mine only holds about 19 quid s worth. I get 100 miles per tank. That's with an injection zetec. My old pinto only did 85 per 20 quid full tank. The low pressure pump on the injection is near the diff and it does struggle especially in this heat

You can only get corner induced fuel starvation if the fuel sloshes away from the HP pump feed. As the HP draws from the swirlpot this means the swirlpot is likely less than half full (and it should be full). Due either to poor LP filling or slower filling than 'use'.

Poor filling is a shot pump, blocked filter (especially if using cube type facet bullet filter) blocked feed pipe or wrong plumbing.

Too fast emptying is usually plumbing fault (especially rail return to the tank rather than swirlpot) although it could be a huge missmatch between pumps.

It's fuel injected swirl pot ?

This is hard to follow. Are you saying you don't know if it's got a swirl pot or not?

If so, I think it's best you clarify your setup. What fuel pump(s) you have, what the pickup is like on the fuel tank (standard or something 'custom'), whether you have any swirl pot setup or anything to combat fuel surge.

You say your pump is "fitted to one end of the tank", I think this needs a little more elaboration. Is the pump in the tank, or bolted onto the end of it? Or do you mean it's external and collected from a takeoff on the end of the tank?

If you effectively have an unbaffled, open tank feeding via an end take-off to an external high pressure pump straight to the injector rail then.... yeah.... you'll have issues.

If its injection the return should go back into the swirl pot, you don't use all the fuel that is pumped and this will help keep it full. Did this with mine I had just plumbed back to tank and got fuel starvation. Also if the swirl pot is at one end it helps to position the take off toward middle of tank if you can.

Guest Jonnyround2003

I have no swirl pot the fuel pump goes into the fuel tank and as it sloshes around I think this is my issues ! Do I need to change the whole fuel pump to one with a swirl pot to sort this out

Yes. So you've got an in-tank pump already, do you know which one it is? That's not typical, so it looks like someone has probably retro-fitted it in the past, which means it's surprising it's not got a built-in "surge pot" (for want of another phrase). It might be that one is in there, but has become detached. Remove it and check, normally it's a plastic pot or curtain around the bottom of the pump pickup. If it's missing, or your pump simply never had one, then easiest thing to do is look to replace it with an in-tank pump that includes one. The Land Rover in-tank pump is the common recommendation on this forum, lots of the guys have gone that route. Hopefully with a bit of luck, the mount pattern for your existing in-tank pump is the same, or can be easily modifed to fit without having to remove and cut/modify the tank in any way.

Worst case, the next step is to leave the existing pump in place and fit all the gubbins related to a swirl-pot, which will necessitate another fuel pump, piping, filter and the swirl pot itself. Not ideal and a right ballache. Trust me, I know, I had to retrofit the same myself recently :) but it's not impossible.

Edited by brumster

Guest Jonnyround2003

Thanks brumster I have a ford Sierra in tank pump it has no swirl pot will look at changing for the Land Rover one thanks for your help