Zetec Rattle

nelmo

If you have fuel in your oil your engine bearings could be destroyed thus throwing metal thought-out your engine = very bad

If bearings are damaged you could be getting knocks which is what would cause the noise as there is space between the bearing and what ever it was against (in my case big end bearings so con rods were rattling on the crank- not good)

Well I'm truly astonished......10 minutes after putting in the additive all the rattles have gone.

Neil, I have hydraulic lifters, but as I understand it the blacktop has solid lifters.

If thats the case the additive wont help you im afraid.

Try videoing it close to the engine so we can have a listen

Well I'm truly astonished......10 minutes after putting in the additive all the rattles have gone.

Neil, I have hydraulic lifters, but as I understand it the blacktop has solid lifters.

If thats the case the additive wont help you im afraid.

Try videoing it close to the engine so we can have a listen

what have you put in ?

I used this from ECP using their discount code. On the shelf, the price is IIRC £9.99 but IIRC I paid £8.30

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/car-additives/oil-system-additives/?555770590&0&cc5_168

It now comes in a can......be warned it smells like the worst un-neutered male cat pee when you first open the can.

Do it in the open, & ditch the can a long way from the house.

It doesnt smell in the engine thank god.

Edited by Bob Tucker

Drain the oil in to a new washing up bowl then have a good close look at it. If it's picked up a bearing you should see minute metallic particles in it. If you rub the oil between your thumb and forefinger you'll soon see any metal.

Pointless putting additive in bad oil.

Richy I agree about the oil.

The additive was just a cheap, easy way of diagnosing the problem, without any dismantling.

Although the oil in there has done less than 3k miles & is still golden see-through

on the dipstick, I will still change it today.

do you now how to check cam timing

Nope, not a clue. But if this was the problem, would symptoms not be bad running, smokey exhaust etc? Engine runs fine and pulls cleanly.

Just had another though, it's not the water pump bearing is it? Drop the belt off and see what the bearing feels like.

The rattle is not always there, if it was the water pump, wouldn't it be continuous?

Same for other suggestions, it doesn't rattle all the time and it happened suddenly, it's not grown from a slight rattle to a big one. Surely if it was wear, it would be more gradual?

Could still be the waterpump. I had one go bad on the redtop, the rattle was only intermittent,

but when I took it off it was completely sh***ed.

I dont know if your pump is cambelt driven or fan belt.

If its the fanbelt, just do as Richy suggests & remove the belt, run the engine BRIEEFLY

to see if its gone.