2B Iva At Kidderminster

Richard Grove

Despite the fact that we are moving house at end of this week we actually made it to the IVA test today. It has been a bit crazy packing up the house and garage well still trying to finish the new 2B.

The examiner, Keith, was very nice and overall very fair and made the test stress free. We were very close to a pass with just two minor fail points to sort out.

1. Rear light cluster - the light from the flashing indicator bulb is bleeding into the side light and brake light lenses.

2. Front lower wishbone. We had 2 attempts at drilling the holes for the lower shock mounts where they bolt to the wishbone and the second set of holes are quite close to the originals and may have weakened the mounting. Honestly, I don't agree with this but it is an easy fix and arguing with the examiner is never a good idea.

There were a couple of other minor things that he pointed out during the test but let them go and did not include in the fail sheet:

1. Rear view mirror vibrating a bit but not enough to fail.

2. Waterproof electrical connector would be good idea for number plate light - we had used bullet connectors.

3. Rear fog light was only just inside the required field of view due to the spare wheel and number plate bracket.

We took piles of paperwork and photos of the build and he did not look at any of it.

The test was scheduled for 4 hours but took less than 2 and to be honest we did a lot of chatting.

Overall we are very pleased with the result as the re-test should be a doddle but still a bit disappointed as we were so close.

Our priority now is to get the house moves done, We are going into rented for 2 months and then moving into new house before Christmas we hope! The kit cars and tools etc will all be in storage until we get moved into the new house but hopefully the retest will be done early in the new year.

Richard

• Like 1

I'd call that a good result - there's no shame in a fail and they're all easy fixes. Keith sat in on my test while he was training at Derby and I came away with a huge list because they really went over my car.

Since he's been testing at Kiddy I've only heard good things about him, seems like a decent chap and enthusiastic about the cars.

Edited by richyb66

Out of curiosity, did they do the mirror check with cones and poles in an open space or with the markings on a wall. I know Keith said that there was originally a problem at Kiddy because they didn't have enough open space outsice to have the ground market out for the cone check and thay might have to use the wall markings method.

The mirror test was done outside, there was a grid marked on the tarmac and some poles on the grass verge behind. He parked the car on the grid and said as long as he can see the grass bank to the left and the red mark on the floor to the right he does not check anything else so no cones or measurements were needed.

• 1 month later...

Quite an eventful morning but IVA retest this morning was a PASS.

The lights on the trailer I borrowed packed up which was pretty stressful driving in the dark / rain.

For some reason the Robin Hood decided to develop a horrible misfire over night which I did not have time to fix but got away with at the test by being very gentle on the throttle. How they did not notice it was running on 3 cylinders ?

Had an audience of 5 VOSA people waiting for me, Keith who was doing my test explained one guy was doing a time and motion study, another guy was from Swansea and was responsible for IVA policy and was out and about observing tests. Then there was another IVA tester who was training someone else.

The 2 fail points from the original test were checked and passed no problem within 2 minutes but they then spent ages going over every inch of the car and started taking photos as well. I was sure they were going to find something to fail it on. What a relief when I got the all clear and Keith said lets go do the paper work !!

Richard

• Like 3

So where have you moved to, lots of building going on in Honeybourne.

Currently in a small temp rented house in Evesham, living out of boxes with most of our stuff in storage. We are hoping to move into our new house in Fladbury before christmas.