Emissions

Guest DAVE1954

Guest DAVE1954

Hi just bough another part finished RB, no engine or gearbox,the 2 I've done before was straight forward for emissions pinto engines, this time I want to put a zetec in it,what about immision, going to a salvage yard, must I run it on ecu and wiring from donor car, or what is the other options, or if I put twin Webern on would it pass with them tuned, do I need a Catt . Cheers. Dave

I was told that getting the right emissions with a Zetec and without an aftermarket ECU is almost impossible. The standard Ford ECU can't be mapped so if you fit it and your emissions aren't right, you're screwed.

I have an Emerald ECU and I took it to a local garage before my IVA, connected up to their gas analyser and just juggled the map to get the right emissions. Saved that to one of the maps, fitted a switch that allows me to switch between the emissions-friendly one and a decent power map and job done.

Yes, I think you legally must have a cat these days and anyway, you'll never achieve the correct emissions without one.

Guest lotusPaul

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

In here it shows the info that i think you need.

Im not an expert but,

Essentially its the age if the engine thats important and not the year of car it came from.

So if you get an engine that didnt have a CAT then you still dont need one.

That may well put you into early Silvertop zetec teritory.

Or fit an engine that does not require a metered test for sure, crossflow for instance. Get thro test, swap to zetec after.

Job done

It all depends on the engine age. You need to be able to prove the engine age which thankfully for ford engines is easy. Then compare that to the requirements in the Iva manual Paul has linked you to. If I remember correctly pre 1995 you should be ok with no Cat.

Is that from the IVA manual or the In Service Emissions Standards?

According to the Standards, pre-Aug 95 is 3.5%CO and 1200ppm HC but only if it's not listed in the annexe of the standard. The annexe lists cars with advanced emissions control systems (including a cat) and contains pretty much everything Ford stuck a Zetec in and the CO and HC limits drop significantly.

The way I read it, if your engine is pre-95 and it came out of anything in Section 1 of the annexe, it should have a cat on it and the Extended Emissions Test applies..

in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-18th-edition.pdf

It's from the IVA manual. IVA testers interpret the manual their way. It asks if they can find an exact match for the vehicle in the annexe and Robin Hood/GBS is not in there. Thus the tests defaults to the standards given above. 3.5 and 1200.

The other thing that could be said but hasn't been yet is once the test is over you can put any engine in the car you want but it will only ever be tested to the above standard (as the rules currently stand.).

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

They should be checking against the engine not the vehicle it's fitted to.

According to the flowchart in the IVA manual, for post July 1992 they'd perform the Basic Emission Test, so CO

If it doesn't pass this they do a CAT1 test and at this point, the only way they should be testing at 3.5% and 1200ppm is if its an Aug 92 to July 95 engine and the examiner can't find a match in the ISE Book - which isn't actually possible for a Zetec because they're all listed.

If it's a later engine - post Aug 95 they test to either vehicle specific or default limits, neither of which are anywhere close to 3.5% and 1200ppm

In my experience the test is carried out using the limits applicable at the time of the manufacture of the Engine.

So if you know the age of the engine, and can prove it, those are the limits that apply. A CAT is only required if you can not achieve the standard the engine age requires

If you cant prove the age then current standards apply.

I would agree with Longboarder, as always, much of the test is down to interpretation. Some test machines do have vehicle data, but I have never seen it used at IVA, they just input the age of engine. of course the age or proof of age could be incorrectly input, but assuming they select the correct age the machine then tells the operator the steps it requires. The final print records pass or fail for each of the test elements. not much room for interpretation, although input aside there are ways to "influence" the test outcome.

I disagree slightly with that. All the Rover-engined Superspecs have to meet the emission level at the time of the IVA , because we get a age-related plate based on the fact that everything is new. So I have to meet the 2008 emissions standards even though we could prove the engine was manufactured in 1995 and sat on a shelf for 10 years.

That is down to how you present the car, if you fill in the form saying that it is a new car, can show the proof that everything is new, the one major component allowed to be reckoned excepted, they will take it as a new car test it under current emissions, and you should get a new plate. But equally if you present the car proving the age of the engine as being pre 1995, you should get an age related and the test for the year of the engine applies.

It's all to do with what you say you have done, what you can prove you have done, and how the people at the DVLA view the application. VOSA do not see your application, or the pictures of the build you have sent in, they are just told to test the vehicle, you could present a totally different car, as long as the chassis and engine number match their paper work, they test to the standard you want.

Like the GT40 kit I took, with brand new pre 95 5.5 V8 fitted with four twin down draft Holly's, presented as a new car, could equally applied for age related because of the age of the engine if proven.