Sewing Vinyl

nelmo

I'm having problems finding anyone prepared to sew vinyl on to my metal frame for my doors - has anyone tried this themselves and can advise how to do it, what equipment used etc?

I found a video showing how to use an Easystitch sewing awl, which looks funky but not sure if it's the right thing for marine vinyl (the same stuff my hood is made out of). Other online videos all use decent quality sewing machines, which I don't have. I've considered buying a cheap sewing machine but I don't think it would be up to getting through the vinyl.

My wife says the problem with vinyl is that it can slip out of place when you are sewing it with a sewing machine. You can buy a walking foot for most machines which negates this problem. If you are sewing multiple thickness then a denim needle would be a good idea, size 16 or 18. Rather than pinning before you sew use quilters fabric clips which are like mini bulldog clips.

Pity you are not nearer here I would get her to give you some lessons. Aldi and lidl have been selling cheap sewing machines, with good reviews so a cheap second hand one would probably be up to the job. How thick is the vinyl? Have you got a saddler near you, they would be able to do it.

The material can & does slip --- so we used Venture Tape --- used in the marine trades --- double sided tape sticks like the proverbial s to b --- can be found on www.kayospruce.com

Think we still have some kicking around if you decide to go ahead & can't find similar.

post-3135-0-67246000-1519584153_thumb.jpg

Made several like this --- the needles get blunt & break occasionally!!!

No that's too thick for a domestic sewing machine. You either need an industrial machine or to employ a saddler. A saddler would probably be your cheapest option if you can find one. I'm going to treat Claire to an industrial sewing machine once she works out which one she wants, the possibilities are endless.

Hi

Just made a couple of half doors.

They were cut from an old triumph Toledo vinyl roof and up to 4 layers thick.

Used a frister rossman machine which is quite small.

As Kevin said a walking foot would be good.

They sewed ok but the best tip is to have someone to give steady light pull to help it along.

Am going to make a rain cover next then have ago at a Surrey top.

Hth

Swan

I did my sidescreens over a metal frame. Used my very old singer hand winding sewing machine think it's identical to this one http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/images/singer-1200x630.jpg .

So the way i did it is (if i remember correctly) ....

1. Cut the vinyl to the correct shape with a 2 inch lip that folds around the outer perimeter. I wanted velcro around the top and rear part to attach to the roof (when i get around to making it) so i worked out were it needed to be when the vinyl is folded around and sewed that on.

2. I left an extra long bit where it attaches to the windscreen so there is a tab that sits inside the frame when closed to stop water/air pushing in.

3. cut the window out

4. contact adhesive around the window and stuck the window plastic in place

5. I wanted the centre of the door attached to the frame and the only way i could think to do this (as you can't get the sewing machine in to sew it) is to sew a strip of vinyl across the door vinyl at the top edge sandwiching the window plastic in place.

6. glue the centre bar -> pass the vinyl tab over and around the bar with the cut edge hidden as it's now wrapped around.

7. The skin is now fixed across the centre so you can now pull all the edges around the frame and sew around

8. There are a few parts where you still can't get the sewing machine in so you'll have to finish a corner or 2 by hand.

9. Oh i forgot i also put a piece of 1 inch webbing around the centre bar with a bag clip which i use to hold the door closed with the opposite piece attached to the car to clip to.

hope that all makes sense :)