Fuel Line Non Return Valve.

Guest gerry cole

Guest gerry cole

I intend fitting a non-return valve in the fuel lin.

Now I have asked a couple of people as to where I fit said valve. One guy said to fit it between fuel pump & carb. The other said fit it near fuel tank. Neither of these blokes have any Kit Car experience. I was thinking of fitting it about 15 inches from pump (between tank & pump) near the bulkhead.

Now what ideas have you guys out there ? Any answers would most welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Guest gerry cole
For what reason do you want to fit it?

My car is a 2B, 2.0 pinto powered & when it has not been used for a few weeks it takes a long time turning the engine before it will start. I have fitted a new fuel pump & this has not cured the problem. I have been told a non-return valve in the fuel line will stop the fuel running back enabling it to start easier. I had thought about fitting an electric pump, but this way seems the cheaper & easier option (if it works). There does NOT seem to be any leaks in the system.

Guest Ian & Carole

Same question really .....why......I think you might find the starting problem is evaporation and not flow - back.

I have the same problem with the Beauford when it isn't used for a couple of weeks between weddings.

I just keep cranking and pumping the throttle and it always starts.

The hood stands for weeks on end, switch on the electric pump and after 3 or 4 secs press the start button and away she goes.

A decent electric pump is only about £40.00 plus a pressure regulator.

Guest gerry cole

Ok many thanks for your reply...So it looks like I will try the electric pump route, unless anyone else knows differently. I will wait a week or two to see if there are any other ideas out there. Once again thankyou.

This used to happen to my pinto hood before the leccy pump was fitted. You need to add the safety of an electric cut-off to the fuel pump supply controlled either by the impact relay from the boot of your donor or an oil pressure relay. This is to try to avoid the problem of finding yourself trapped in a crash with the pump merrily squirting fuel out of a severed pipe onto......................etc.

Nigel

Had the same problem with my Series 3. I put a non-return valve near the fuel tank and now the engine cranks over less before firing after a standing for weeks. It is worth trying as they are cheep to buy and easy to fit. Going the electric route is costly what with pump, oil pressure relay or impact relay and maybe even a fuel regulator as well!

• 4 years later...

as has been said electric pump is the way to go, turn it on, you can hear it pumping, wait a couple of seconds then it's ready

good luck

Ian

Did you ever fit a non-return valve or go electric pump in the end?

Curious, as we are renewing all the fuel pipes and wondered if it was worth fitting a valve during the process.

Guest Ian & Carole

Nikki

You might not get a reply to your question, this thread is nearly 5 years old and most of the contributors, "Taff" rarely if ever comes on here now.

I fitted a none return valve in the fuel line of my Beauford and has made no difference at all, therefore my problem seems to be fuel evaporation in the carb and not fuel flowing back to the tank.

I would fit it near the tank, fuel will be held in the line from the carb.

If you have mechanical pump it will be primed quickly and the fuel will lift the small distance from tank to non return valve easily

If fitting an electric pump they prefer to push not pull so fit non return as near to tank as possible

As I have a Malpasi filter king near the carbs this provides a small fuel resrve to help starting