Help! Rear Suspension Unit Required

Guest gordon40

Guest gordon40

Hi folks,

Just had the car out for a nice spin in the sun and came a cropper with the pot holes of Lancaster City centre. Was going through the centre heading to Devil's Bridge (Kirkby Lonsdale), hit a huge deep pothole and snapped the rear offside suspension strut at the top threaded mount where it goes into the eyelet.

My problem is, I didn't build this car and have no idea what units I should use as replacements, can anyone help please???

The car is a 3A and the basic strut is eyelet mount top and bottom with an external shroud to hold the adjustable spring. The current unit is 13.75" between centres, main body is 40mm diametre (this added more for reference for the spring to be replaced if required) or is there a better replacement.

Thanks all for any help.

G.

Picture now added

post-2146-1240170752_thumb.jpg

Edited by gordon40

Guest gordon40
A picture would be best as thses models can use either standard Sierra shock absorbers or aftermarket coil overs.

Did the unit look like the one in this link? Sierra shock absorber on Ebay (NTDWM)

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the quick response, I have a feeling I've left the digi camera elsewhere as I can't find it in the house or would have taken a picture. The nearest I have seen to it on ebay is this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260396140295

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260396246758.

If I can get a digi camera, I'll take some pictures of the bust unit and the nearside one that is still intact.

G.

Have added a 2nd picture of the dismantled shocker

post-2146-1240171062_thumb.jpg

Edited by gordon40

Guest paul c

hi G

Give Dave at Damper Tec a ring he will sort you out with some nice GAZ ones also spings .Ihave 180lb springs on mine!

tel no 01709703992 or07973382199

regards Paul c

Guest gordon40
hi G

Give Dave at Damper Tec a ring he will sort you out with some nice GAZ ones also spings .Ihave 180lb springs on mine!

tel no 01709703992 or07973382199

regards Paul c

Paul,

Thanks for that, will give them a call and see what they recommend.

G.

Coilover shocks are specified by the distance eyelet to eyelet open and closed and the diameter of the spring intended to be fitted.(In inches) There are variations in end fittings, polybushed, rosejoint or post. Springs will either be 1.9 or 2.25 inches diameter.

Dampertech, Gaz, AVO, Spax can all supply shocks specified in this way.

If you were happy with the way the springs worked then fit your old ones. Springs are specced by uncompressed length, diameter and pounds pressure required to compress them one inch. You can go same length but harder or softer if you want to make changes. Always do shocks in pairs and for a sweet handling Hood do all four. They will be different spec on the front.

The shock in your pic is a zeemeride and a poor performer. Any of the above makes will transform the handling.

Nigel

Guest gordon40
Coilover shocks are specified by the distance eyelet to eyelet open and closed and the diameter of the spring intended to be fitted.(In inches) There are variations in end fittings, polybushed, rosejoint or post. Springs will either be 1.9 or 2.25 inches diameter.

Dampertech, Gaz, AVO, Spax can all supply shocks specified in this way.

If you were happy with the way the springs worked then fit your old ones. Springs are specced by uncompressed length, diameter and pounds pressure required to compress them one inch. You can go same length but harder or softer if you want to make changes. Always do shocks in pairs and for a sweet handling Hood do all four. They will be different spec on the front.

The shock in your pic is a zeemeride and a poor performer. Any of the above makes will transform the handling.

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks a million for that. This is the first lightweight kit car I have owned and with it having been built by the original owner and bought from him, I have nothing to compare the ride with. I have been happy with the ride until the shock failed, so would suggest that the springs are Ok.

I usually drive the car on my own and I weigh in at 13 stone 4 lbs and don't carry much in the way of excess weight in the car (phone, wallet, fleece, jack and very little else).

The eyelet to eyelet closed is 9.128" and the open is 13.75", the spring is 9" uncompressed. Are the basic shocks easy to get hold of so I can fit the original cover and springs after removing the top eye and then re-fitting.

I'll have a look at the makes you have suggested as a first point of reference.

G.

Edited by gordon40

GBS may hold some original Zimmerides but every one sooner or later swaps them for one of the better makes.

Protec

Gaz

Avos

etc,

A pair of ProTec or Gaz wont be much more than the Zimmers but will be soooo much better from £60 each without springs

Guest chris brown

If you were happy with the spring rates then whatever make you go for make sure they are the correct size to fit the springs which IIRC the zimmers were1.9". This is ID of the spring. There is only 2 sizes 1.9” and 2.25” so you can’t go too wrong

Guest gordon40
GBS may hold some original Zimmerides but every one sooner or later swaps them for one of the better makes.

Protec

Gaz

Avos

etc,

A pair of ProTec or Gaz wont be much more than the Zimmers but will be soooo much better from £60 each without springs

Paul,

Cheers for that, just been checking out fleabay and came up with these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260396246758

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=300309363528

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260396140295

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260396455097

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=130301226614

Any suggestions on what would be best??

Thanks.

G.

Guest gordon40
If you were happy with the spring rates then whatever make you go for make sure they are the correct size to fit the springs which IIRC the zimmers were1.9". This is ID of the spring. There is only 2 sizes 1.9” and 2.25” so you can’t go too wrong

Chris,

Just measured the ID of the springs and they are 1.950" on the vernier if that helps.

Thanks.

G.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gordon40

Hi All,

Just to update you with the decision on the replacement suspension, after chatting to a friend who has a Caterham and is rebuilding a porsche, he recommended Road and Stage - www.rsmmotorsport.co.uk in Morecambe.

Took a wander up there and had a chat with a lovely lady there that took time to go through each of the manufacturers. I finally opted for the AVO as they would replace the standard 12mm bushes with 10mm for free (GAZ were cheaper but were quoting 5 to 6 weeks delivery), the new AVO's should be here next week, so looking forward to getting the car back on the road and keeping well away from pot holes (and Lancaster).

G.

Guest gordon40

Hi Folks,

Latest update on the suspension saga, just got home from work to find the Avo suspension units waiting for me, quick opening of the box to find the one thing that hacks us all off - why the hell can't people listen to what you want, the lovely lady in Road and Stage called Avo direct and ordered the shocks and then asked if they could supply with 10mm bushes and not the standard 12mm, the response back was - sure, no problems, we can do that at no extra charge but will delay a day or 2 on delivery.

I said, fine, lets get them ordered, paid the money.

Now, can anyone guess what they sent?????????????????????

Yep, not the 10mm but the 12 - idiots, so now need to either alter the brackets or send thhem back for the right bushes - ho hum <_<

G.