Pinto Ignition & Dwell

Thrashed

So your saying there is a calculation required with fully electronic ignition

I run Megajolt and don't have a dwel function.

I would assume that if I program an ignition advance the software will calculate and adjust.

Dwell is the amount of time required to charge an inductive coil to its maximum energy level. In terms of modern engine control, dwell is defined in milliseconds. Typical ID coils will have a dwell between 2ms and 5ms. Electronic ignition is much better at regulating dwell than distributor based engines.

Now I get it but 2ms to 5ms means you'll be safe to 10s of thousand rpm @6500 1 cycle is over 9ms

Interesting though

Thanks for the info guys, i now know how and why but with my blackbox that allows me to program the dwell, what sort of figures should i use?

it is currently set to 45' lower down rising to 70' at top end. does this seem right?

Now I get it, this is for the adaptation of a single coil & distributor system where you can over heat the coil or not give the coil enough time to charge.

On a system like Megajolt which used a coil pack, effectively 2 could, and wasted spark you don't have this issue.

Very interesting, every day is a school day.

Well got a reply from accuspark. Absolutely not help at all.

They do not offer any specific advise on how the use their product other than the bottom end should be 25-30 at lower rpm and 75 max at max revs. Brilliant!

On a more positive note this all becomes irellivent as the issue has not been with the settings but with the whole blackbox. The box is faulty and is what has been causing all my issues. This is the second one to got faulty so it has all beven stripped out and put in the bin. Going back to a standard dizzy with electronic points.

Just need to figure out if it worth making a vacuum plenum for the vacuum advance on the new dizzy?

Edited by Thrashed