Learning To Weld

Guest subaru

Guest subaru

Hi all,

I am really interested in learning to weld so i can do more to the car. Ie Brackets, door frames, may be a boot etc. Does any one happen to know weather MiG or Tig os best suited for the hoody or this an impossible question to answer.

Many Thanks chris

Guest Getting There

Hi

It depends on the material your are welding.

If it is steel then MIG can be used and in my opinion is easier to use. If you are welding aluminium then TIG is best however it is more of an art than mig welding. TIG welding tends to look neater but both can be grinded down. TIG can be used for most materials, steel, stainless, etc; where as MIG is more limited.

Really it is down to preference but to start with MIG is easier and usually cheaper to get the equipment for.

Your local technical college will run night courses and usually they are not mega money and give you the basics right upto becoming coded.

Cheers

Chris

Guest peter2b2002

I've got a Magimate mig welder from a farm sale,it has a gas port but I use cored wire , it does most things that I need to do from 1mm up to 6mm steel, I trained as a welder back in 1970 with the MOD but for the last 30 years I've had no use of those skills so had to re learn it all again, after doing a google search for tips ,I found a few bits of steel sheet, a reel of wire and played around for 2 hours , now I can weld again :D

peter2b

I'll second the MIG welding forum comments by MM above. Great resource. No substitute for having a go to get a feel for it, but lots of good info. I had 6 weeks of stick and gas training when I was an apprentice, but had never tried mig until recently. The forums gave me all the info I needed to get going. Even if you do a course, might be worth a look to get some background. The forums do reviews of equipment as well. HTH, Brian