Bonnet Spacer

Guest Lindsay

Guest Lindsay

I'm busy fitting the bonnet at the moment, problem being i've put spacers under engine mounts so sump clears cross member. This has caused me a problem at the top side as the bonnet now catches the timing belt cover, it looks to me as if I will have to put a spacer alongthe top of the side panels so as when bonnet is shut it gives me clearence between bonnet and timing cover.

Any body had same problem?

Sub-K, 2.0l pinto

Thanks again

Lindsay

Guest atigue

I also had the same problem on a 2.0 sub k. i made a brace to go from the lower edge of the bonnet just behind the nose cone and up to the centre so i could put more of a curve in the centre than just letting it sag. have got some photos somewhere.

Well the chassis sides aren't usually that parellel, or wide enough to fill between the folds of the side panel, so you need to insert packing pieces between the 2nd edge you do, to fill the gap. This gap could be 5mm so if you've fixed the top edge first, you could be up to 5mm lower down than if you'd fixed the bottom edge first.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Guest Petemate

Hi Jim

These cars are so different aren't they? My side panels were a perfect fit to the top and bottom chassis rails, no packing of top or bottom required at all, just a bit on the inside of the outer skin at the change of shape to avoid kinks. Yet although the bonnet wont clear the K & N (well, to be fair it IS over 2") it nonetheless misses the oil filler by at least 5mm. Strange!

Pete(Oldgit)

Guest Mike Perry

We are just about to fit the side panels and take the point that they will need packing out to fit on the top chassis rail.

What in everybodies opinion is the best way to pack out the gap?

That's a good photo to show the potential gaps that you can get, and it's definately better to fit up to the bottom rail, then pack the top if required. But what are 'Paxoline blocks Bill?

Whatever you use, you don't want it to rust, or disintigrate in time.

Guest Battery Bill

Jim

But what are 'Paxoline blocks Bill?

Its stuff you use on aeroplanes for various types of jobs, Its like very, very dense glue with lots of little paxolines in it :lol: :lol:

Well using the principle of chipboard but a lot denser and waterproof and suitable for aircraft so well suitable for cars. :D

I have got plenty left over if anyone wants some :D