Cycle Wings

Guest simonjackman

Guest simonjackman

Having problems with my cycle wings !!!!

Bracket holding wing on at suspension sheared and broke. Got it re-welded and it lasted approx 10 miles before going againg.

Guess I need to buy a new bracket and wing as the screw ripped thru the GRP this time. Do I get these from RH ?

How long would it take to strip down the suspension to get the old braket off ?

Is it illegal to drive with no guard ?

Feeling very frustrated as car only back on road after 2 weeks getting my sump shortened..... which is now great.

Thanks

Guess I need to buy a new bracket and wing as the screw ripped thru the GRP this time. Do I get these from RH ?

You could get replacements from RH. Best to phone them for prices. You could also get just the GRP from them (or someone else) and then fabricate your own brackets up from scratch if you've got a welder. There's plans for cycle wing brackets in Ron Champion's locost book, or places like Tiger will sell them too - they all use Sierra hubs.

How long would it take to strip down the suspension to get the old braket off ?

What front suspension setup have you got? For a 2B with wishbones I reckon I could get the cycle wing brackets off in less 1 hour. Undo all the bolts holding the bracket onto the hub carrier, use a chisel to separate the hub carrier from the dummy McP insert, lift that out, and the bracket will fall off. If you're on sliding pillars or a non-2B then I have no idea.

Is it illegal to drive with no guard ?

A cover above the wheel is both an SVA requirement, and an MOT requirement (missing bodywork would constitute a fail), so if you were pulled over it would count as being in an unroadworthy condition. That's IF you get pulled over. chances are you'd be fine :D

Ant

mine also snapped at the weld ,a common problem i understand.

i overcame this by sawing off the "squashed portion"and made up new bent squashed tube examples which slide snuggly over the existing bracket which saves taking the suspention apart.

post-5-1091133259.jpg