Supercharger

Guest whiz

Went to my local motor factors today & as usual go in for something quick but end up spending ages having a blether. Well today was no different went in for a new sump gasket for the zetec. got talking about the hood, zetec & what kind of bhp it will end up with the mods. When one of the lads behind the counter said " why don't you supercharge it ". I said dont be silly going down that road costs serious money. In reply he said I know a lad that has got a full zetec supercharger set up & is the kind of boy that if you where to offer him £50 or something silly he would sell it. As he doesn't really know what he actually has. think the lad meant not the brightest bulb in the pack.

So I have told the lad to enquire about it & get back to me . Never know your luck. that kind of thing would be awesome in a hood. Has anyone done similiar Ive heard of turbos in hoods but not a supercharger.

Andy

Flack Monkey on Locostbuilders and Turbosports forum has done a mini supercharger on a Duratec, once you have got it firmly mounted you can set boost by the pulley diameter.

You will only be able to boost about 6lbs unless you lower compression but it looks a good mod and you won't suffer from lag.

Guest Chutney

I'm doing mine next winter. I keep checking eBay for second hand eaton m45's- there's a few and they generally go for around 150. I recon the compression on the zetec is low enough fo a small boost, but hey boost is boost, and it sounds awesome.

There's a couple of utube videos of flak monkeys hood- it is quite simply epic.

The cynic in me think that it's probably one of those electric supercharger jobbies - ie a fan in the air intake. Nothing but a con, and probably a hinderance to normal air flow.

He'll probably sell you the magnets on his fuel line, the power boost resistor and the lead pellets from his fuel tank, if you asked nicely!

No this I believe is the genuine article he seemingly sold some other go faster stuff to someone else for peanuts the guys doesn't have a clue according the the lad in the shop.

Andy

Guest Chutney

50 quid for a supercharger setup is fairly unrealistic.

I

Think Jackson racing charge 3grand for a snazzy "bolt on" supercharger kit.

Bear in mind, buying a supercharger is easy. Fitting it and making it spin probably ain't that hard. Making it work and not break your car must be hard.

If it turns out to true then I'm quids in. If it ain't then ive not lost anything either. If I do get it & it turns out to be to much work to set up then I could always sell it for a profit & buy some other goodies that I could use on the hood.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Sevenheaven

Setting up the Eaton M45 (BMW Mini S) standard charger is simple, you need to already have the multi v belt pulleys or replace yours, they are only worth a rough £100 as there’s loads around due to people upgrading there "S" to the cooper works charger an upgraded unit.

use a good thick 5mm at least to bolt onto the Eaton as I had a 5mm ally "incident" on my classic mini that nearly blew my face off :mellow:

I'd be very careful if your not going to de-compress the engine as the M45's a good little blower, worth checking the pully ratios.

Also consider a blow through system as the M45 is only designed to pump air otherwise the finn coating breaks away.

All in all if you can fabricate or know someone who can the manifold, its a cheap conversion. I got my A series mini to 112 bhp for about £350 that’s from 92 with a dcoe Weber (heavily modded engine).

I'm just building my 2B and feel it’s very likely that a M45 will end up on mine at some point ;)

It's not so much the bhp the torque is amazing :D

I’ve fitted a M45 supercharger to my 2B, It blows though Jenvey throttle bodies into a 2ltr blacktop.

After a little searching on the internet I found that to make it run properly I had to use 2 throttle bodies, The original Jenvey and one before the supercharger.

This was required to allow the Mini bypass valve to work correctly.

The engine pulls hard from low down and the acceleration is on par or a little better than my supercharged Elise.

I would recommend any one to do the conversion, but it is a little tight to get the supercharger and pipe work in.

Tony