Replacing Engine

Guest matvic

Guest matvic

I have broken my engine (block or piston) and am using it as an excuse to change from a 1.6 pinto to a 2.0.

Apart from the engine what else will I have to change to cope with the 2.0?

Guest Alan_builder

What about the clutch plate?

That may require a change from a 4 speed box to a 5 speed box because of extra splines on the input.

What about the prop shaft? the 5 spped box has more splines than the 4 so the input yoke to the prop may need changing. Not all 4 speed boxes have the smaller output tail shaft size, well I was told it would all fit and it didn't.

Guest matvic

Thanks for the advice.

I have a 5 speed box already with a sierra 1.6. I have got a 2.0 RS2000 pinto, so according to the above it should be a straight swap and keep an eye on the temperature.

What about carb jets?

Guest fatherhood

I am currently undertaking the same engine swap, mine is due to buying a car with a totally unreliable 1600 pinto.

Took the decision after asking on here for advice to go for 2ltr. Bought from a member could have dropped straight in and away but because of the unreliability of the last engine got a bit paranoid and decided to do a bit on it as its out and easy to work on, So far all looks good will keep you posted if any hickups arise.

Carb from a 1.6 will under fuel a 2.0, not sure but manifold may have smaller ports.

Any 2.0 L pinto carb and manifold will do for now

The larger coolman radiator is worth fitting as is an 82 degree thermostat £10 eBay.

Lifting the rear of the bonnet 1/2 inch also makes a difference

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest matvic

Head gasket went, i thought, turns out to be three loose head bolts!!! Had the head skimmed and back together...never run so well :db:

Thanks for the help, the gearbox was fine, am getting an alu radiator as its running about 10O C hotter than before.