Low Brake Fluid Light

Guest Steve

Hi,

I failed the SVA on a few points recently one of which is that the low brake fluid light doesn't work. I know that there is power to the switch on the reservoir but do not know if the switch is working.

Is this a common problem?

Are there any obvious tricks to try?

Is the switch likely to be broken?

Any views / assistance welcome.

Steve

Guest TerryBarry

Do you have the handbrake warning light switch connected up and does this work normally ?

Make sure that the brown wire to the fluid level switch is correctly earthed

If you jump the brown and brown /yellow wires on the plug to the switch the warning light should come on.

I do know that the handbrake warning light doesn't operate if the plug isn't inserted into the fluid level switch.

Bn/Y at the plug should be live and if earthed and ignition is on should light the warning bulb. It is permanently linked to the Bn/Gn to the handbrake switch which links to earth as soon as the handbrake is pulled on. The Bn from the low fluid level switch is only linked to the Bn/Y when the fluid is low and thus earths it and lights the bulb. If you lift the switch out of the resevoir, allowing the fluid to drip out (simulating low fluid level) and pull the plug you should find all three terminals that you see in the switch socket are now electricaly common. If not the switch is duff.

Guest paul thompson

Mine failed on this too, I got a replacement cap from a scrappie and that didn't work either.

Lever off the little buble thing onthe cap and take the float out. The wires connect to two terminals and on the top of the float there is a washer which when the fluid is low sits across these terminals. On mine the washer and the terminals had corroded. A bit of wet and dry on all three cleaned off the corrosion (both of the caps I had were the same) and it works no problemo. To check that the wiring was correct, I stuck a flat bladed fuse into the plug on the wiring loom and turned on the ignition. Presto, light came on. Probably corroded bits in the switch.

I failed to mention that I have a Vicki Green Loom so the diagram supplied didn't apply but I did get a result when I cleaned up the terminals. Thanks for your assistance on this as these are the sort of things that drive me to distraction.

Steve