Rh Mark 1 Sierra S7/rear Suspension Upgrade

Guest sammini7

Guest sammini7

Hi All,

I have just purchased a rolling RH Mk1 Sierra based S7 with no engine or gearbox, what options are open to me for upgrading the rear suspension to a more modern setup?

PS My apologies if this question has been asked a few times :)

I find the sierra rear end works really well. It's the front that probably needs sorting first. Ditch that bloody great anti roll bar for a tie rod conversion and put some softer springs on if it's still got those 180lb lorry springs that came with the kit.

• Like 1

Agree with above. I assume you have the sierra semi trailing arms. You may still have the sierra rear springs and the dampers can be either attached to the original lower mounts and upper end to the side of the body tub or in the centre of the trailing arm 'dish' possibly with coilover springs. The latter is probably the best set-up. Upgrades are to better quality dampers, decent tyres and wedge shaped spacers to dial out the excessive rear negative camber.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

RH Mk1 Sierra based S7

:)

Unfortunately this means very little as the early monocoque Robin Hoods got called S7's when they weren't, and not to mention that Richard Steward (RH manufacturer / owner then) liked to play about with suspensions, even on similar 'models' so what we need to know is just what suspension you have underneath it (Photo's are best)

you could have the cortina suspension, then we go onto the sierra suspension with large coil springs with a bit of rope inside them to stop them coming out on full release, next in line there are coil-over shockers attached to the rear of the top 'overbend' of the side panel (ie chassis part) these could be with straight shock rods into the 'chassis' or with eyelets and fixed to brackets, until we know just what you have, it's a lottery.

Guest sammini7

Thank you for the replies guys, I have uploaded some photo'a of the suspension on the car. I can confirm the car has the 'Flintstones' rope control measure to control the Sierra springs. I hope the photo's are ok for determining my cars setup.

Standard Sierra rear end. I ran with that setup on a 2B for a few years, but using a standard

shocker that was spring loaded, so it assisted the coil spring. I completed many track days with no problem at all.

I eventually replaced the spring & separate shock with a GAZ coilover. TBH it didnt make a huge difference,

except I can dial in a softer setup for the road & stiffen it for trackdays.

As other have said, it would be better to upgrade the front end first.

I assume the car is not registered? If thats the case, my advice would be to finish it as it is,

concentrating on doing any jobs needed to get it through IVA,

and enjoy it for a year or two before you start the neverending task of tinkeritis.

If I remember correctly, the next step up from this was to dump the sierra coil springs and fit coil-over shocks that went to a bracket in the centre of where the sierra spring sits, but then the next step after that was to move the coil-over shockers to just outside the confines of the body tub as the mark 3 & 3A (Mine is a mark 3 with this set-up, spax coil over shocks with 11" 150lb springs I think! it's a long time since I did it)

I agree with other comments, get the front end sorted first.

I was looking at fabricating a double wishbone setup similar to Haynes Roadster rear and grafting it on.

It's a lot of work and tying it in to the monocoque tub requires further work including cutting out the boot floor and moving/changing the fuel tank