Westfield Engine Replacement Modifications

Guest SunbeamFanatic

Guest SunbeamFanatic

Hi All,

First post so hoping this is the right part of the Forum!

I have a simple live axle Westfield with 1600cc Crossflow (136bhp on the Dyno) and I'd like to upgrade to something a bit more potent, around 200bhp (or slightly higher) and a suitable gearbox (preferably 5 speed). The car is mainly used on the road with an occasional Track Day excursion.

I'd like the engine to be aluminium if possible and a fairly straightforward common fitment. I'd also like to be able to fit a ratio kit in the gearbox (Quaiffe etc.) so I guess a Ford gearbox of some type would be easiest. Engine doesn't have to be Ford though but I would like the gearbox to engine fitting to be fairly common preferably with a bellhousing/adapter available.

What would you guys recommend and are there any suppliers of fitting / adapter kits that you would suggest for the recommended engine/gearbox combination?

Many thanks,

lots of choice out there depends very much on how much you have to spend masda1.8 turbo or supercharged duratec dont know if this is all ali though but no need for forced induction plenty of other engines available £££££££££

Guest SunbeamFanatic

lots of choice out there depends very much on how much you have to spend masda1.8 turbo or supercharged duratec dont know if this is all ali though but no need for forced induction plenty of other engines available £££££££££

I was thinking £4-5k for the engine and gearbox. I'd prefer NA rather than forced induction.

Guest mark little

Go V8 with Tremec gearbox, loads of torque and good ratios in the gearbox, should be within budget as well, might need to upgrade the dif though but the Westfield seights seem to work well

I ran a Westfield seiw before the TVR, it had a 2litre zetec silver top with jenveys, made 170 Bhp with the mt 75 gearbox, good manageable power that didn't try to throw you off the roadpost-12431-0-66439700-1494798449_thumb.jpg

Edited by mark little

I doubt you'd be able to do a V8 with a Tremec for under £5k, not when you cost in everything else you'd need to swap. Engine swaps aren't about the engine, they're about what it needs to make it fit and work reliably.

VXR turbo offers big bang for your buck but it depends what you really want.

• Like 1

Guest lotusPaul

Hummmm

2.3 duratec with quaife 6speed sequential box. All ali. Easy 200bhp.

Theres to many options i think. Ive looked at Nissan in past, 4pots and 6. You could even look at ali cosworth bda bdt rs 1800 varients. Or go of track completely and go bike engine route.

Or flee bay has a 6.6ltr Ford big block with jag 5speed. 3.5k or there abouts.

Happy hunting

Guest SunbeamFanatic

Hummmm

2.3 duratec with quaife 6speed sequential box. All ali. Easy 200bhp.

Theres to many options i think. Ive looked at Nissan in past, 4pots and 6. You could even look at ali cosworth bda bdt rs 1800 varients. Or go of track completely and go bike engine route.

Or flee bay has a 6.6ltr Ford big block with jag 5speed. 3.5k or there abouts.

Happy hunting

Hi, do you mean the new 2.3 Duratec EcoBoost? I didn't want to go forced induction but these are an attractive option, I'd have to significantly increase my budget though. I am a bit concerned about the height of some of these engines as they look tall, much as I like the S2000 engine it to looks tall, giving clearance problems.

Guest lotusPaul

Not the eco boost, but its also a very good package. I was thinking the 2.3 from the galaxy mpv. I think a while ago chaterham put these in the 7. You can get a cosworth version too. ££££££

The Honda civic type r or S2000 engine would be good if they fitted. Don't think they are aluminum though. I had a type r from new and the noise from the engine when you revved it was addictive. Normal car until about 5500 rpm then off it went all the way up to 7900 if I remember correctly. The S2000 revs even higher and produces more horsepower but 197 in a small hatch was good. If you were torn between a bike or car Engine then this is a possibility. I expect it has been done somewhere if you trawled all the usual forums.

They are normally aspirated but I guess the ecu would have to be fairly complicated to manage the vtech engine.

As somebody else has already said its the little bits that make it fit and give reliability that bump up the cost.