Best Diff To Use?

Guest nippykev

I have a reference that gives Ford vin plate code for axle V as 3.33:1 ratio. Doesn't say what it comes from.

Nigel

Axle (code identified the ratio of the axle)

A=3.36 B=3.77 D=3.92 F=3.842 J=4.056 K=3.31 M=3.14 N=4.29 P=3.58

J=3.62 V=3.33 Z=3.59 2=4.27 3=3.62 4=3.82 5=3.26 6=3.12 8=3.56

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest salty_monk

3.92 also came on the 1.8 cars. 4.11 should not interfere with top speed.. my car had a thousand or more revs left on the 3.9 at 120... but the engine had no more "go"... :)

Check out my thread in donor loads of info. knowing Fords as i do it is possible that almost any diff can be found on almost any car. I am going to check the diff tag on mine when i drop the tank again, hindsight etc. I have a good deal of info on diffs from a few sources but as i have been told the only sure way is to count the teeth on the crown wheel and pinion. Befor doing that i will mark the wheel and the prop and rotate them and count.

Guest salty_monk

It's pretty easy to tell which you have by the rotation method.

Jack one side up so wheel is raised, mark the tyre & the prop flange then rotate the wheel twice & see how many time the prop flange goes round.

The difference between a 3.62 & a 3.92 are obvious... :)

If you have both wheels raised (or the diff is off the car) you only need one rotation of the wheels...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chris brown
Mine is has a LSD if that makes a diffence?
Then the chances are is that it is a 3.62. Stick to it, it is excellent in the dry but can get a bit skittish in the wet until you get used to it. I also think that being a bit longer legged it makes motorway driving that bit better.

Well just looked at my diff and the tag was still there, much to my surprise :D

On the diff itself it is stamped with a F, anyone know if that relates to anything, as the tag looks like this.

85GG BC 362

A 0M1 1

Bit confused by this as this.

Is the 362 relating to the ratio as i hope or is it the A? as from reading this post i was just expecting a letter?

Thanks

Simon

• 4 months later...
Guest ScotMac

OK guys, this is a bit confusing...at least for my small mind. One post says that the 4x4 lsd diffs can be 3.92 or 3.62, depending on whether the car is 2.0 or 2.8, res pectively. Another post says that ALL 4x4's are 3.62. So, which is it?!!? ;-)

How ez is it to get those 4.11 crown and pinion? Is that all i need to switch to 4.11? And will it fit into the 3.62 4x4 LSD diff??

Have a line on a 3.62 LSD, but will probably want to switch it to 3.9 or 4.11...or should i just wait, and get the 3.9 or 4.11 directly? Can they still be found???

Let me know...Cheers, -sm

Guest ScotMac

OK...got about 2 mins to bid on a 3.62 LSD on ebay!!! Don't know whether i should wait for a 3.92...but it doesn't look like they are ez to get...and don't know if the 3.62 can be converted!!! Help!!!! ;-)

Anyway, guess i'll bid on the 3.62 (bird in the hand), and sell if i can later get a 3.92.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (everyone must at the show, or driving their rh!!!).

-sm