Ford Diff Identification

Guest Jomeo69

Good point well made Dan.

Each to their own,.

I prefare the long legged cruising that the 3.6 gives me.

But our car was built with long distance cruising and not for track or high speed laneing.(new word)

Absolutely. And you being an ex-stage rally man, you'll understand where I'm coming from ;) the Pug is geared for 130 flat out in fifth (8300rpm!) so when you've got that many revs to play with, it seems a shame to throw the performance away with a really tall diff. Having said that, the 1600 K in mine is less torque and more revs so it gets away with (benefits from) the shorter diff, but I appreciate the bigger 2 litre cars with more grunt don't need it so much. My Exmo never really saw a motorway, and I doubt my Zero will either... :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car has V6 ratios, 3.9 diff on 195-60-14 tyres

Does 80mph @ 4000 rpm in 5th

This means a short 1st gear @ 35mph but 2nd will pull over 60, 3rd near 80, top speed in 4th and cruise in 5th

The acceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd is what I love

Each to his own

Guest Ian & Carole

Absolutely. And you being an ex-stage rally man, you'll understand where I'm coming from ;) the Pug is geared for 130 flat out in fifth (8300rpm!) so when you've got that many revs to play with, it seems a shame to throw the performance away with a really tall diff

I once had hold of a 5.3 English slip diff and dropped it into my MK 1 Twincam,

Holy *bleep*e was it fast off the line and muchly fun in and around trees!!!! but one run down RAF Hemswell runway told me that if I was going to keep the engine in one piece for more than one event it had to go.

Went back to a 4.4 which offered the best of both worlds, except against 911's on air fields.

Guest janis

My frien once kerbed 525tds and broke axle..he get axle from friend wich was from 530i u coud drift it as much u like but at aroud 70mph tacho was near in red :D :D :D

• 3 weeks later...