It Came Off In My Hand!

Guest red7

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came home behind the RAC van today. good job I had my bit of rope to tie to my wishbones, the RAC man did not want to use his A-Frame in case he bent them. Anybody else had this problem?

post-7-1112564228.jpg

:boohoo: :boohoo: Know how it feels Steve. I had the same thing on my 4-speed box but was lucky only to strip the threads on the gearlever itself, put it down to the shorter lever putting pressure on the ball part of the thing.

Mine is a 4 speed box from a Cortina. Time to fit a Sierra 5 speed, but will it fit? Before the lever came off there was a terrible rumbling from the gearbox which lasted for about 20 seconds in fourth gear at 70MPH. Is it dead?

Guest micky bigthumbs

I had to drive my triumph 2.5 for three months using a large screwdriver to wedge the stick down then electricle tape to hold it ( couldnt afford to replace it ) or you could have taken the spring off and kept your hand on the stick

Mick

Chris N - Did you fit a type "N five" speed box? I see you have a micra diff. what model is that? Anything I should watch out for?

My progress so far.

Sunday - Destroyed gearbox 5 miles from home after 100 mile run.

Monday - Borrowed engine hoist.

Monday - Given low mileage 5 speed Sierra Gearbox.

Planned jobs.

Tuesday/Friday - Prepare for engine gearbox lift.

Saturday - Lift out engine and gearbox/Prepare for refit.

Sunday - Club run to Tan Hill Inn - Navigator.

Yes it is a type 9 5-speed box I have fitted. Its a Cortina rear axle on mine I have fitted Micra rear panhard rod to stop the axle wined up instead of RHSC 5th link which ripped the top of my first diff off :gdit:

Steve

The only other thing I had to do was where I cut the section out of the floor to let the box sit in the right place was to bolt the double skin of the floor back together and then weld the edges back up.

If I'm home in time from work and its still light. I will get the car out and jack it up and take some pics and post them for you.

Chris.

Guest stu205
I came home behind the RAC van today. good job I had my bit of rope to tie to my wishbones, the RAC man did not want to use his A-Frame in case he bent them. Anybody else had this problem?

yep!!

after my rear coilover broke on the way to stafford when the first AA van came he said the same but he wasnt keen on pulling it so he called for a low loader insted another bloody hour!! :gdit:

If you change to a 5 speed box you will almost certainly find that the propshaft will need changing as the gearbox output shaft splines are different on the 4 speed boxes.

I started a thread on this ages ago because I'm about to change from 1.6 / 4 spd to 2.0 / 5 spd.

Apparently on some 4 speed boxes the length is different as well, so may require prop shortening.

If you do a search I am sure it will come up.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Andy