Some Advice Needed

Guest mcramsay

Guest mcramsay

ok ive been away for a while, well ive just worked 14. 12 hour night shifts in a row which meant i had no time for my doing my car but i want to get back into the swing of it now. the stage im at is the car is on 4 wheels, side panels are on, engine is in, with the gearbox. ive made up the back panel (but not attached it to the car) ive made a bit of a mess of it and you can see the tabs that fold over on the corners so i may have to buy another panel and re do it. or try to redo it as best i can with the old panel. anyway carrying on. the wiring loom is run in but not secured as of yet,

what i want to know is, when the wiring loom gets to the back of the car where do you route it to get to the back lights? as obviously i dont want the electrics running on top of the fuel tank! could any one post up a picture looking down into the boot so i can see where the wires run? also i need to run the fuel lines, but i dont want to do this untill i have a fuel pump, im running the car on r1 throttle bodies, could any one suggest a fuel pump to use and the fittings?

one last thing ,ive got to run the hand brake in aswell, as im not using disk brakes richard said something about having to cut a bit off where the hand brake attaches to the sierra brake shoes, can any one clarify on this?

im figuring once all this is done i can secure the back panel and then start moving up the car towards the front. again any wiring advice, ie best way to secure wires, what connectors go where. wil the loom wires always reach the thing they are going to (or do you need to extend them atall with new wire)? i know this is 100 questions, just a little stumped on how to move forward. ive started too many jobs without finishing them!

as obviously i dont want the electrics running on top of the fuel tank! .

Hi,

I don't see why not. I have routed my wiring around the flange of the fuel tank on the nearside and across the back. The tank is steel and I've added an earth from it to the chassis (as specified in the IVA docs I notice) so I don't see any problem. I'm not sure what you have but I have a submerged electric fuel pump and another wire in the tank going to the fuel gauge sensor so car designers obviously don't think its a problem having low voltage electricity and fuel together.

If you are concerned about it getting chafed or things resting on it put it in a channel or some of that corrugated sheathing. I’ve done the latter and then bound it with loom tape. I've done that for all of my loom. It looks the business but it'll be a bugger if I ever have to fault find in there <_< .

Regards,

John (jwts).

Guest scrabster

hi,i routed the loom around the tank to the fuel sender then driver side lights then fog then reverse and nearside lights.i used p clips which have rubber lined inside the clip.i also fixed the brake lines at 6" centres or there about and cable tied the loom to it.i used 10mm copper tube for fuel line and put it through flexy conduit cutting it where the clips are just for a bit more protection.if you have to extend any cable(i did a lot) solder it and use heatshrink tube,its a lot neater.

use a bike pump to match the carbs as its already the right pressure,mount near the tank.

attach one end of brake cable to the shoes and cut one end only,make sure you can adjust the slack after.i got some hex bar the same as the bit i cut off and drilled a hole and tack welded the end of cable to hex bar.then i crimped it in the vice aswell.

hth, jess.

Guest neil stobbart

Hi, Not sure of the arrangement on the Zero but on my 2B I welded a section of angle iron horizontally beween the vertical tubes (lower sections of roll bar back stays) behind the back panel. This provided a rail to P clip the cabling to (cable was installed inside PVC sleeving) and gave someting to bolt the spare wheel to through the back panel.

HTH

Neil

wire at back lights run under the squre tube then thats your boot floor so nothing runs above the big square above the diff also make templates for your boot whilst everything is out ? no back pannel hand brake yep its true crap way of doing it but thats the way i cut to where i needed it add another inch stripe the outer case get chock block push through till it wont go any more lock them both of i put a blob of weld so they wont come back under presure and bike brake lock nut on each end aswell then tighten up bobs ya uncle. iam running bike carbs and bought bike fuel pump great happy building lol